CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Viking River Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viking-river-cruises/)
-   -   Viking Europe (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viking-river-cruises/238942-viking-europe.html)

suzanne June 15th, 2002 10:48 AM

Viking Europe

We are booked on Viking Europe Sept 25 (Best of Europe). We start in Amsterdam and finish in Vienna.

Has anyone out there done this cruise? Any recommendations? We were thinking of taking the train from Airport to Central Station at 2.90Euros each instead of $35US each asked from Viking? We were in Amsterdam last year with our cruise on REN from Stockholm to Dover. We saw 2 riverboats just before the new cruise terminal they were building. I guess that the cruise terminal is now fully opened, so to Riverboats go to the terminal or elsewhere?

We are staying an extra 3 nights in Vienna, any suggestions for hotels and what to see?
Thanks for any help
Suzanne

Angus June 16th, 2002 01:08 PM

Re: Viking Europe

A good Hotel in Vienna...

A couple of years ago, after completeing a river cruise from Budapest to Passau, Germany, we went back to Vienna and spent a few days.

We stayed in the Hotel Tigra, Tier Grabe 14-20. We loved it. It's a charming (Motzart slept there kind-of-thing) 58 room hotel within walking distance to everything in the center of the city and all transportation links. It's under the Best Western management chain, but you would not know it till you looked at the fine print. The service was great and the rooms were fine with all the normal ameneties. Breakfast was included with the decent rates.

Enjoy yor cruise and enjoy Vienna.

Angus Campbell
New York, NY

suzanne June 16th, 2002 02:03 PM

Re: Re: Viking Europe

Thanks Angus for your input. Will check into it.

Susan K July 30th, 2002 12:29 PM

Suzanne,
Have you figured out how to get to the boat? We're booked on the Aug 9th Amsterdam to Vienna cruise and are interested in what you've learned. Thanks for your help.

Susan

suzanne July 30th, 2002 06:50 PM

Hi Susan,

Yes, there is a train that leave the Airport every 9min and goes to Central Station at a cost of 2.90euros. From Central Station, you can either walk 10-20 min or take a cab.

Stu Mogelson August 3rd, 2002 05:07 PM

Re: Re: Viking Europe

Dear Susan K,

I just happened to stumble across this website, attempting to find out something about the cruise that my wife had just booked for us. It appears that we are on the same cruise. This will be our first "river-cruise, although we have been on several large cruise
ships before.
If you have any info on the cruise, we'd like to hear about it. My wife works for an airline co. and we've been to Amsterdam several times. We'd be happy to share what little we know.

See you on board,
Stu & Kathy Mogelson

Susan K August 6th, 2002 08:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Viking Europe

Stu,

Glad to meet you. My husband, Bill, and I are taking our first river cruise, as well, although we have also taken several ocean cruises. I also work for an airline so we have that in common already. Basically everything we have learned has come from this web site, so I would recommend reading the postings. We also read everything on the Viking site, even though there wasn't nearly as much as on most other cruise line sites. The itinerary we got was quite sketchy, but after calling Viking we learned we would not be leaving Amsterdam on Aug 9th so it doesn't matter when we arrive. It seems there is a tour of the Floriade on the 10th which is a big plus for us since it only takes place every 10 yrs.

We haven't decided how we're getting from the airport to the boat, but we're leaning toward taking the train to the station then a cab to the boat. The taxi prices everyone has written about seem a little steep to us. I guess it depends on how tired we are upon arrival. We haven't been to Europe in almost 20yrs, so the time difference, flight time and extra years may influence our decision.

Looking forward to seeing you on board,

Susan and Bill Kiehnhoff

Elaine G August 6th, 2002 10:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Viking Europe

FYI.. There is a new site to check for additional info on Viking...
wwwVikingforRENegades and others.com I hope I did that correct.. Anyway we are still looking for fellow cruisers on Viking Provence/Burgundy 10/26.. We have done the hotel addon so we will be in Nice on 10/22... Anyone out there?? Elaine

DeepBlueC August 6th, 2002 11:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Viking Europe

Dear Elaine--

You posted the name of the new Viking message board, but not the URL. The correct address is

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Viking...des_andOthers/

We did the Provence sailing and REALLY enjoyed it. Don't drink too much wine!

Chris