Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Beginner

Default amsterdam to basel cruise

I'm looking for information on the Amsterdam to Basel cruise on Viking. We are leaving July 2.
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: amsterdam to basel cruise

Hi:

We are doing the Basel to Amsterdam cruise starting June 8th. We are also looking for information. I'll post something when we get back, so least you'll get our recent perspective before you go.

Have fun.

Cathy
Old June 21st, 2003, 09:16 AM
Donna Bergeron

We have this trip scheduled for 8/31/03. This is our first river cruise. I have been told that it is less formal than ocean cruises. Would really appreciate any info. when you return. Thank You and have a wonderful trip.
Donna Bergeron
Old June 23rd, 2003, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: amsterdam to basel cruise

Hi Cathy,

I was wondering how the cruise went. I know your'e probably very busy right now, but we are going out of town for a wedding on 6/26. Then the day we come back we leave for the cruise. Please drop us a line when you can.

Paul & Mary Beth
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:30 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: amsterdam to basel cruise

Hi:

I emailed you (separately) my write up and pictures from the first part of the cruise.

Cathy
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:15 AM
yahiel isac

we intend to take the cruise on or about 1 july 2004 please inform if you have a cruise on this date or a near date thanks
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Kenneth Oliver

Default Re: basel to amsterdam cruise

2 persons, queen bed. Reserve to leave basel nearest date on or after 09/25/04

soonest reply requested

Kenneth Oliver
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Shirley B

Hmmm...I don't think there is an Amsterdam to Basel on Viking. There is an Antwerp to Basel, and that itinerary includes a visit to Amsterdam.

In Brugge, be sure to try the mussels and the fries (fries are served with mayonnaise rather than ketchup)...and have a Belgian waffle for dessert!

In Amsterdam, try to get to see the Ann Frank house and the van Gogh museum. And don't miss the red-light district at night. Like nothing you've ever seen in any other city!

The cathedral in Cologne is magnificent; the city is quaint, charming.

The music museum in Rudesheim is not to be missed.

Sorry, but I haven't been to Gouda, Nijmegen, Heidelberg, Strasbourg, or Basel...but they are on my agenda...

Bon voyage,
Shirley
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:33 PM
ggo

I took the Amsterdam to Basel cruise last summer (many, but not all, of the same ports). What information about the cruise would you like?
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Kathey

Default Re: Re: amsterdam to basel cruise

We will be on this or a similar cruise in October, 2004. I would appreciate any information on the ship and life on the ship. For example:
Can you get coffee, tea at any time?
Is there ice available anywhere on the ship?
What time are meals?
How formal do you have to dress for dinner?
Can you regulate the heating/cooling in your cabin?
Is there adequate storage space for two people?
If you don't like the dinner choices is there a standard steak choice like on ocean cruises?

Thanks for any information you can give me. And I'm sure there are many other things I should ask about. Anything you want to add would be appreciated.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:52 AM
ggo

Default Re: Re: Re: amsterdam to basel cruise

>Can you get coffee, tea at any time?

As I recall, it was available pretty much all day in the lounge. Maybe not at 3:00 a.m., but wasn't up at that time, so I'm not sure.

>Is there ice available anywhere on the ship?

There are ice containers in your room. I think the stewards refill them. I don't recall seeing an ice machine in the public areas. Again, I never looked and we never used any.

They do provide ice water in the lounge during the day. It is in a small container and, when everyone returns from a tour on a hot day, can briefly run low. If you mention it to the staff, however, they will refill it promptly.

>What time are meals?

Breakfast is a buffet that generally starts around 6:30 or 7:00 and runs til 8:00 or so, depending on what time the day's tour is supposed to start. You can also order certain items from a menu, such as pancakes, omelets, etc. Allow a little extra time for that. Lunch is around noon, although it also may vary slightly if the tours are long. There are two options for lunch -- a buffet in the lounge or a sitdown meal in the dining room. I never went to the sitdown. The ONLY difference is that the sitdown offers one additional entree and the buffet has small sandwiches. Menus are posted in the morning, so you know your options.

>How formal do you have to dress for dinner?
Most nights, a collared shirt and slacks (such as khakis) for the men. Equivalent for the women. Shorts and jeans are not appropriate. (BTW, we'd read on this board that shorts weren't allowed for breakfast or lunch. That was NOT true on our ship; people did wear shorts to meals other than dinner.) On "formal" nights, most men wore a jacket. Some also wore a tie. Some wore a tie and no jacket. None wore tuxes. Very few wore suits. For the women, a cocktail dress is too dressy. Khakis too casual. A "nice" dress or dressy slacks are fine. There are two "formal" nights on a 12-night cruise.

>Can you regulate the heating/cooling in your cabin?
Yes

>Is there adequate storage space for two people?

Depends on how much stuff you bring! Seriously, we were fine. Suitcases can be stored under the bed unless they are really huge.

>If you don't like the dinner choices is there a standard steak choice like on ocean cruises?

Yes. Each meal offers 2 entrees -- one is always fish and the other usually some form of meat (steak, pork, chicken, etc.) Not a lot of vegetarian dishes. The food is not particularly ethnic -- I would describe it as Americanized-European. Generally quite good.

They offer Caesar salad, grilled chicken and grilled steak (rib-eye) at all dinners. We found the steak particularly good.

I would encourage you, when possible, to eat some meals in port. Germany has great food that is not all that expensive. IMO, eating at the same restaurant for 3 meals a day for 12 days gets old, no matter what they serve.

A few other things that may or may not interest you: we were one the Viking Danube (which may now have been renamed) which had a small swimming pool. Very limited exercise equipment -- pretty much a stationary bike and a rowing machine. However, there is always the option of walking and running in port.

Ship's tours depart ON TIME. When they say the tour leaves at 8:00 a.m., that means the buses pull out at that time. If you appear at 8:05, you will miss the bus (or walking tour). Ditto for pickup times in the city returning to the ship. So be prompt.

You have the option to tip at the end of the cruise. They leave an envelope in your room. If you choose to tip, you put the envelope in a box at the reception desk. If you prefer to charge your tip, you can do so at the reception desk. If you decide not to tip, no one will notice. They "recommended" $10 per person per day. Given the status of the dollar, it might now be 10 Euros. However, tipping is purely optional -- we did tip b/c we thought the service was excellent.

You can bring your own wine aboard. There is a corkage fee of $7 per bottle, as I recall. Sometimes they'll waive it -- didn't happen too often on our cruise. There are no refrigerators in the rooms.

If you have add'l questions, please ask. There's no way I can guess at everything you might want to know.
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Kathey

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: amsterdam to basel cruise

<<< If you have add'l questions, please ask. There's no way I can guess at everything you might want to know. >>>

Thank you very much for your answers. More questions below.

1. Is there a self-service laundry for passengers to use?
2. Is there an ATM on board?
3. What are the tipping procedures?
4. Do they provide Equal (artificial sweetener)?
5. Do they have Egg Beaters or a low cholesterol egg substitute?
6. Is there a safe in the cabin?
7. Do we need an electric adapter?
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:14 AM
ggo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: amsterdam to basel cruise

Wow! Some of these are tough ones.

>1. Is there a self-service laundry for passengers to use?

No. The ship offers laundry, including same day service for a slighly higher fee. The amount wasn't outrageous but it's obviously more expensive than self-service. In fairness, most ships don't have washers & dryers for passengers b/c they're serious fire hazards.

2. Is there an ATM on board?

No. But there will be more than enough ATMs in every town you visit. And you don't need cash on board. They will change money on board, although they admit that you'll get a better rate at a bank in town. BTW, generally, most businesses accept dollars and credit cards. Some will give you a discount for paying cash. Obviously, if they (businesses) take dollars, your exchange rate won't be great.

3. What are the tipping procedures?

Tipping is voluntary. The last night, they leave an envelope in your room. You can put as much or as little as you want to in it (or nothing at all). You deposit the envelope in a box at reception. Your name, room number , etc. is not on the envelope. If you prefer to tip with a credit card, you can do so at reception. Last year, they "recommended" $10 per person per day. With the drop in the dollar, it might now be 10 Euros, but I don't know this for a fact.

We were very happy with the service and tipped appropriately. However, if you choose not to, no one will be the wiser (except your own conscience). Also, I think there were automatic tips on bar bills -- I forget the amount -- 15% maybe.

4. Do they provide Equal (artificial sweetener)?

No idea.

5. Do they have Egg Beaters or a low cholesterol egg substitute?

No idea. Don't use it. The buffet offers scrambled eggs and hard/soft boiled eggs. You can order omelets. Remember that non-whole eggs are not a common breakfast item in Europe; they generally cook them for the Americans. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have egg substitutes. There are plenty of other items in the buffet line and on the a la carte menu -- so, even if you can't have the eggs, you won't starve.

6. Is there a safe in the cabin?

Yes. It's free & easy to use. Large enough to hold wallets, a modest amount of jewelry, small cameras, etc.

7. Do we need an electric adapter?

Yes. They do provide a hair dryer, so no need to bring one. For most appliances, you probably don't need a converter.

Hope this helps.