Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Vienna-Black Sea or Amsterdam-Budapest

Would appreciate input / comparison on these two itineraries. We have been to Amsterdam, Budapest, Nuremberg, Rothengerg, and Vienna, but not for many years. Thinking of going in Sept. thanks! Would be our first river cruise, but have been on many other ships and prefer smaller, more intimate, relaxed - so this sounds great for us.
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Vienna-Black Sea or Amsterdam-Budapest

Dear Darcy: We are taking the Viking Eastern European Odyssey - Vienna to the Black Sea and back - along the Danube River this summer. Will post a report when we return. River cruising proved to be a wonderful experience -- small ships, all city tours included, wonderful, well-travelled fellow passengers.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Vienna-Black Sea or Amsterdam-Budapest

Dear Darcy--

We took the Amsterdam/Budapest cruise last September with a group of 16 couples, and we all agreed it was fantastic. If you haven't been to the ports you mentioned for many years, you are likely to find some changes, along with renewal of wonderful memories.

We are taking the Eastern European Odyssey in June, 2003. Along with some of the ports we visited last fall (Budpest, Vienna, Estergom, Szentendre), we are looking forward to ports whose names we haven't every heard before, along with ports we've been looking forward to visiting, such as Bratislava. Transylvania is also intriguing! I can't wait to get back to Budapest and Vienna--hoping to see all the sights we didn't have time for on previous visit.

After we return, I'll be able to give you a comparison of the two itineraries. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about the Grand European, send me a direct email: shibin@aol.com

Sincerely,
Shirley B
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Cal Ford

Either one should be fine. We have only the Rhone River as personal experience but the only one we have heard complaints about is the Po River in North Eastern Italy. Reportedly very dirty, nasty, and boring.

Good luck and I hope you have a great cruise.

Cal Ford
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:15 PM
alma saro flores

arrival to Budapest 13-Julio-2003 4 adult and 1 children Viena-Black sea

> Would appreciate input / comparison on these two itineraries.
> We have been to Amsterdam, Budapest, Nuremberg, Rothengerg, and
> Vienna, but not for many years. Thinking of going in Sept.
> thanks! Would be our first river cruise, but have been on many
> other ships and prefer smaller, more intimate, relaxed - so
> this sounds great for us.
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:20 PM
alma saro flores

arrival to Budapest 13-Julio-2003 4 adult and 1 children Viena-Black sea

> Would appreciate input / comparison on these two itineraries.
> We have been to Amsterdam, Budapest, Nuremberg, Rothengerg, and
> Vienna, but not for many years. Thinking of going in Sept.
> thanks! Would be our first river cruise, but have been on many
> other ships and prefer smaller, more intimate, relaxed - so
> this sounds great for us.
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed Viking's Amsterdam to Budapest last year and--along with everyone on the cruise--really enjoyed it. There is so much to see and do in most of the ports that even on return visits, you find new sights and enjoy new experiences, in addition to revisiting old favorites.

We will be sailing on Viking's 17-day Vienna/Black Sea cruise at the end of June. We just received our documents, accompanied by a small book that describes the port highlights and excursions. Wow! Looks fabulous! We're looking forward to revisiting Vienna, Budapest, Croatia, Constantza, Estergom and Szentendre; and areas such as Bratislava, Transylvania, are intriguing for to us for our first-time visits. I'll be able to compare the two itineraries after we return.

Two concerns: First, you mention you will be sailing with a child. There are really no children's activities onboard, and there will probably not be any other children. In fact, many river boats have an age minimum requirement. For Viking, I believe that it is 12 years old. Other river cruiselines are definitely senior-citizen oriented and may have age 55 as a minimum.

Second, at least as far as Viking goes, I understand that all four of its Eastern European Odyssey (Vienna/Black Sea) sailings are fully booked; so if you don't have cabins reserved for your family, it may be too late.

If you have any further questions you think I may be able to answer based on past experience, reply to this message or send me an e-mail: shibin@aol.com.

Sincerely,
Shirley B
Old July 13th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Dave Gramling

My wife Jean and I are departing from Vienna on August 4 for the Black Sea and back.
Anyone else?
Old July 13th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Vienna-Black Sea or Amsterdam-Budapest

Dear Dave--

My husband and I just returned last evening from Viking's 17-night Eastern European Odyssey. It is an unforgettable itinerary--one accessible only by riverboat. We covered over 2000 miles, learned of the plight and history of several nations, met dozens of wonderful people--many of whom have travelled world-wide--and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I am working on a journal of the trip, but it may be weeks before I get it completed. In the meantime, please post any specific questions you may have.

I do have a journal of our Provence cruise with Viking, and that would give you some insight into Viking's mode of operations. I'd be happy to send you a copy at your request.

Sincerely,
Shirley B
Old July 14th, 2003, 02:45 AM
toni fine

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Vienna-Black Sea or Amsterdam-Budapest

Oh hi hi hi Shirley,
Glad you got home safely. Hi everyone else. We were among those travellers on this most exciting and unusual cruise. We loved it. Highly recommend it to anyone who wants something different but be prepared to 'adapt'.
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vienna-Black Sea or Amsterdam-Budapest

Hello Shirley and Toni: It's an Eastern European Odyssey/Viking Europe Reunion!! We, too, had a wonderful time on this trip. The cities, palaces, cathedrals, museums and other excursions were fascinating, the food great, and the insights we got into the history and culture of the places we saw made the trip even more enjoyable. Would be glad to answer any specific questions, but it will be quite some time before I can get all my thoughts together for a trip log. Mimi