Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2003, 02:55 PM
ggh

Default Viking Cruise Berlin/Prague

We just returned from a miserable trip with Viking on the Elbe. No warning of low water until we reached Berlin for start of tour. Turned out to be one long series of bus rides while sleeping on the boat. Viking could have/should have cancelled the trip or at least re-scheduled later. Upon return, I called their office and their attitute was "TOUGH" and offered a 50%(from list price) coupon. BIG DEAL!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Gary Karschnick

Default Re: Viking Cruise Berlin/Prague

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. I called Viking just last week asking about the Elbe trips and they told me that the boats were getting through. Either they lied to me or the boats started getting through after your trip.
Old August 30th, 2003, 08:31 AM
johnt

Default Re: Re: Viking Cruise Berlin/Prague

It has rained like crazy here in Germany over the last 2 1/2 days.
Don't know what this has done to the water level in our rivers, but it can't have hurt from your point of view.
Old August 31st, 2003, 07:37 AM
Lynn K

Default Re: Re: Re: Viking Cruise Berlin/Prague

We returned from our cruise the 28th after setting on the river side for 6 days in Dresden. We were also told we were a days rain away from cruising. I think it would be critical that rain fell in the Prague area for the boat to cruise and I couldn't guess how many days would be necessary. GGh, did you pay extra for the view of the weeds too? No concessions whatsoever. Not even a glass of wine. The cruise line verbally offered 1/2 half off a future cruise which, frankly is of no value to us.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:58 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Viking Cruise Berlin/Prague

We were on the August 20 non-sailing of the Schumann as well. However, Dresden had so much going for it, that we made the best of a bad situation. We were disappointed not to be sailing, but overall we had great food, a nice clean place to sleep and we actually saw more in the 6 days there then we would have had we sailed. So if you want to have a lousy time you will. If you go with a good attitude you can still have fun. There were opportunities to go to the opera, several concerts, a city wide festival, lots of museums, stores etc. Don't understand why people can't enjoy themselves despite a bad situation. I found the staff to be helpful and kind.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 03:50 PM
Nel

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Viking Cruise Berlin/Prague

Sometimes people physically CAN'T TAKE all the busing, it has NOTHING to do with their attitude or their desire to have/not have a good trip.

I honestly don't understand why some people just can't understand that, instead of assuming that someone is just being contrary!
Old September 5th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Gary Karschnick

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Viking Cruise Berlin/Prague

Well, we just booked this trip today for next May. Let's hope that they have a "wet" winter and the river comes up.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:59 AM
Dawn Butcher

Default Re: Viking Cruise Berlin/Prague

Thanks for the information. We are considering a cruise in September nextr year. It appears that this is a line to avoid.
Old December 5th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Gary Karschnick

We did our cruise on the Elbe with Viking and it was wonderful. The food was very good. Our guides were excellent and there were no low water problems. I would recommend it to everyone.
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Shirley B

I'm wondering if you think that low water affects only certain cruiselines! If the water level is too low for a ship to sail, no ships sail. Mother Nature does not play favorites!

Perhaps instead of choosing another cruiseline, you should choose another itinerary. I haven't heard of any water level problems on the Rhone or the Seine (river cruises in France), or on the Volga (river cruises in Russia). These are fabulous choices!

Shirley B
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Nancy Renick

Dear Dawn, we are also planning a trip on the viking Berl;in to Prague in
September and are a little apprehensive with all the negative comments. We
havew not made our reservations. Are you planning to go Septmber 05? Maybe
we will skip the cruise stay in Berlin and get a driver to take us to Kracow, Warsaw and back to Berlin. Please reply. Nancy R.
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Beginner

My husband and I took the Elbe River cruise in Sept. 2005 and had an absolutely WONDERFUL time...we sure lucked out with the weather...sunny days almost every day. Food was wonderful, room was spacious, and we met a lot of nice people. Would definitely consider cruising with this company again. And, by the way, we spent an extra week in Prague...the city was wonderful...so much to see and do we didn't even get to do it all.