Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Lynncruiser

Default Sightsee in Budapest

I will spend a few extra days in Budapest and wonder about the shipís half day sightseeing and what it involves? I have the notes from the itinerary and brochure but wonder if anyone has thoughts on this so I donít duplicate something unnecessarily? Thanks, Lynn
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Shirley B

Default Re: Sightsee in Budapest

Dear Lynne--

The city tour offered in Budapest by Viking is excellent. It includes a visit to Heroes Square (awesome!) and Castle Hill--but you can't see all the wonderful things to be seen in a 4-hour coach and walking tour. I'd suggest that during your extra days in the city you make plans to tour the inside of the Parliament buildings (you ride by them during the city tour). I believe there is a tour with an English-speaking guide at 1:00 most days. I'd also recommend that you visit the Grand Opera House and take the tour that is offered. It is magnificent!

Other suggestions: Budapest is the home to the second largest synagogue in the world, with the largest being in New York City. There is also a Jewish museum adjacent to the synagogue which is very interesting. And don't miss the Holocaust memorial in the courtyard at the rear of the museum. Visit St. Stephen's Cathedral on Castle Hill, and take time to browse through the Hilton Hotel, the art galleries and boutiques on the Hill. Be sure to visit the huge indoor farmer's market for a glimpse at the ordinary people of Budapest, wonderful displays of produce, fish, and meats, and a great selection of souvenirs. The market is walking distance from the pier.

In addition to our Viking-sponsored tour, we hired a private guide for a full day in Budapest. If you'd like his name, please write to me directly: shibin@aol.com.

Bon voyage,
Shirley B
Old October 18th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Lynncruiser

Default Re: Re: Sightsee in Budapest

Hi Shirley, that would be great, I'd love to have the private guide's name. And, thanks for all the ideas, really appreciate it. Thanks!