Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:17 PM
First Mate

Default Nov.9 Vienna-Nuremburg

Leaving Nov. 9 anyone going on this trip?
Any news on water levels?
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Nov.9 Vienna-Nuremburg

We're sailing Vienna to Nurnberg on Nov 23rd. If you get a chance, please post an update after your return. Thank you.
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:15 PM
ptc

Just got back, expect to disembark mid trip take a 3 hour bus ride &r eembark in Nurmberg to regenesberg then back to Nurmberg to disembark. Seeing Salzburg as offered will require a total of 6 hours on the bus for a disapointing 2-3 hour tour. Expect dishonesty with smiles.
Old November 5th, 2003, 01:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Nov.9 Vienna-Nuremburg

Thanks for the info. Can you give me more details. Did you get to Passau? The tour plan has a bus tour to Salzburg, is it changed? Do you miss any other side excursions?
Was your trip satisfactory overall? Was the boat full of passengers?
Send me an email if you wish. Thanks for your help.
Old November 7th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

ptc,
Thanks for the update. Were you on the Oct 26th Vienna to Nurnberg sailing?

Does the Salzburg tour normally take 6 hours on a bus or was it because the boat had to dock farther away. According the Viking's pre-trip info, we are supposed to dock in Linz that morning and re-join the ship in Passau later in the day. I mapped out the journey and it's approx. 135km from Linz to Salzburg and 120km from Salzburg to Passau, so I would imagine it should not take 6 hours under normal circumstances.

Where did you have to get off the ship to bus to Nurnberg? And on which day? Did the ship then stay docked in Nurnberg and you were bussed to other ports?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.
Old November 7th, 2003, 12:26 PM
ptc

My experience:
As we boarded the boat, we were given a summary of our intended journey.
There was no mention/hints of re-routing due to water problem. We were allowed to believe we would complete the cruize as scheduled, until we reached Passua. This is when they acknowledged that we would be changing ships. This is what I found most disturbing. It became apparent that this was planned from the start. On the cruize you will even be told how they need have reservations for the use of the water locks. It is not a horrible thing but keep it in mind as you unpack your baggage.

We never saw Linz, instead we were bussed to Nurmberg. The ship does go back forth from Nurmberg to Regensberg to Nurmberg(using a canal with many locks) and this is where our bus for Salzberg departed from.

The trip was enjoyable, it all depends on what your looking to get out of the trip. It is not what I paid for. If you can get over the initial dishonesty the crew is friendly and the food impressive.

If I could do it over, I would have question the water problem and its implications straight away. Go and have fun, I hope now you will have a more realistic idea what to expect..
Old November 7th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for your reply!

I think I have a better understanding now... so you actually had to switch ships half way through your cruise. That also makes sense why it took so long to get to Salzburg. If that's the case we'll probably just skip the Salzburg tour as I don't relish the idea of 6 hours on a bus just to be there for a couple of hours.

I wonder if part of the reason for your ship switch was that they needed to get the Amsterdam-Vienna passengers onto your original ship to reach Vienna in time. I was reading the recent post by sdianem and it sure sounds like that's exactly what they did!
Old November 8th, 2003, 09:47 AM
JerryM

Patty, we are scheduled for the same cruise Dec 6th - Dec 14th, on the Viking Spirit. After your trip, we would really appreciate hearing of your experience regarding Viking's handling of the water level problems.

This will be our 4th cruise with Viking with a 5th planned for spring 2004. We are extremely disappointed with Viking's mishandling of customer relations in dealing with the current problem. This behavior is very atypical of our past experience with Viking.

Although the majority of passengers would be disappointed with any required itinerary changes, most would realize Viking probably is doing everything possible to provide the most enjoyable cruise permitted by the adverse natural conditions.

We believe by not being “up front” with people, they are making a huge mistake which will probably haunt them long after water levels return to normal.
Old November 9th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

JerryM,

I will post or email you as soon as we get a chance to go online after our cruise. I completely agree with you regarding being upfront with passengers. I think most of the anger and disappointment is the result of not being honest with passengers from the beginning.

What other Viking cruises have you done?
Old November 9th, 2003, 01:52 PM
JerryM

Patty,

Thanks for replying.

Our first Viking cruise was the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on the Viking Danube, in 2000. After over 15 ocean cruises we were getting "turned off" with the size of the new ships as well as some of the operational changes that have evolved over the past several years.

In 2002, we took the Moscow/St.Petersburg trip on the Viking Kirov. Wife & I agree this was our most memorable and enjoyable cruise. One of the highlights of this trip was having an Internet friend from St. Petersburg join us for lunch on the ship.

This past June, we took the Amsterdam/Basel cruise. This cruise was back on the Viking Danube. It was great to talk with some of the crew we had met on our 2000 trip. Although the water level on the Rhine and Mosel was below normal, the cruise went was "as advertised".

If Viking can survive the customer anger they have generated with their short-sighted handling of customer concerns, we would like to take back to back cruises on the Elbe and then the Black Sea cruise next year.

Thanks again,

Jerry