Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Default My story on Viking & TA about cancellation.

We were scheduled to cruise from Vienna to the Black Sea and back to Vienna on October 8, 2003.

2 weeks prior to the cruise my husband was informed that he had cancer and had to be operated on.

We immediately contacted our TA (Shirley) and she cancelled our cruise. We contacted the insurance carrier.

The operation was on the day we to board the ship and it went well with no cancer in the lymph nodes.
We had recieved paper work from the insurance company and filled out the forms and had the doctors fill out their forms.

Several weeks later the insurance company sent us the need for more information which we sent. Several more weeks later another letter saying they needed more information including why I could not travel. (without my husband?) they wanted a letter from MY doctor.

We called the insurance company and another form letter about why I was to be refunded. The date for my not traveling was 10/05/03 through 00/00/1900. Yes 1900!

Through all this Viking gave us BACK 1/2 of our cruise payment (VERY nice of them with 2 weeks notice) which we had informed the insurance company and sent them confirmation.

The insurance company then wanted all records of payment and we had put payment on our CC long ago and shredded our invoice after payment.

Now I'm angry and fire off an e-mail to the parent company of the insurance company and an ombudsman I know, then inform my TA (Shirley) of my intentions.

Shirley and I communicated back and forth and 2 days later I received a phone call from the insurance company telling me that they would be cutting a check the next day.

We received the check on December 24th. Case closed.

Moral of this story is to read ALL the fine print on your insurance, keep ALL records of payment and contact your TA if you are having problems with the insurance company, they may be able to help you.

I learned the hard way.
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Lynncruiser

Default Re: My story on Viking & TA about cancellation.

We recently used CSA and cancelled due to my husband's illness, he later passed away. Yes, cancellation was an amazing amount of paperwork to do it they way they requested, including what my travel agent had to submit, but they were wonderful and a check came soon after mailing the documents. I wondered if I could have gotten by with less documentaiion due to the circumstances but gave them everything they wanted, they had a right to request it.