Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:39 AM
Len

Default The French River cruises, has anyone info about them?

We're thinking about a French VRC and there are so many posts on this board about German cruises but I never see anything about the French ones.

Has anyone taken the French cruises? The back to back cruises sound pretty nice, but are they as scenic and enjoyable as the German cruises? What about that tiny cabin on the Normandie? Is switching ships an arduous process? Has anyone taken both French and German, thus being able to really make a true comparison? We took the Amsterdam to Vienna and enjoyed it.

I'd really appreciate anyone who could give me some information about this, and thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:56 AM
Shirley B

Default Re: The French River cruises, has anyone info about them?

Dear Len--

My first Viking River Cruise was "Provence", and its itinerary centered on Avignon, Arles, Provence, Aix en Provence, and Marseilles. A somewhat different itinerary, "Burgundy and Provence" is currently being offered. I loved the cruise along the Rhone! I kept a detailed journal of the cruise, which I'd be happy to share with you (and others reading this message) at your request.

My second Viking cruise was "Grand European Tour"--Amsterdam to Budapest. I loved that one too! Was the scenery along the German and Austrian rivers better? Different, yes; better, no. The magnificent Provence area of France, with its brilliant lights and colors, was a major inspiration for artists Cezanne and van Gogh. Breathtaking vistas offered dozens of photo ops. I don't mean to take away from the Ams/Bud scenery. Sailing into Budpest late at night was a remarkable experience. I get goosebumps just thinking about the beauty of the lighted monuments and bridges! Sailing past the cathedral at Cologne, lit up against a dark black sky in the late evening, was breathtaking as well. Views f rom the Abbey at Melk and the charming shores of Amsterdam might well be considered unsurpassable, too.

Our third Viking cruise, sailed from Vienna to the Black Sea and back. I don't remember as many castles and cathedrals as dotted the Rhine, the Main, but who can forget the magnificent Danube Gorge? the quaint villages? the beautiful and unusual collections of birds that we spotted all along the river route?

I'm looking forward to our upcoming Russian river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg in July. Certainly the views and vistas will be different from those in Germany and France and the Netherlands and Hungary, but I can't believe they won't be just as exciting in beautiful.

I haven't sailed from Honfleur to Paris, but what could be more stirring than the sights Paris offers as you sail down the Seine at night? I am planning to do the back-to-back French cruises from September 4th to 11th, 11th to 18th, and I'll report on that when I return. I think the 7-8 hour transfer by motor coach between Paris and Chalon-sur-Saone may be less than wonderful; so I'm considering taking the "fast train" instead--that's only a 3-hour ride. Truthfully, I'd rather spend the 5-hour difference in Paris than on a bus!

Bon voyage,
Shirley B
Old January 25th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: The French River cruises, has anyone info about them?

an excellent report about VRC in France you will found on this website, the writer was one week on board of the VBU , you have to see this website, it is almost a must if you want to have a very good impression about VBU.

If you visit the VBU ask for the engineer Bob van Beek , he is a great guy. But mostly he is swapping between the Viking Burgundy and Viking Rhone

http://www.europeforvisitors.com/eur...undy-index.htm
Old March 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Durant Imboden

Default Re: Re: The French River cruises, has anyone info about them

Thanks for the plug. That URL points to the photo gallery that accompanies my 21-page VIKING BURGUNDY cruise report, however; the report itself is at:

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/...g-burgundy.htm

Nine pages of the reprt are about the ship; the rest are about the ports of call along the way.

By the way, Bob Van Beek is obviously the kind of guy who's very much on top of things--I got an e-mail from him within 12 hours of publishing the cruise report and photos. I don't know if he ran across the story by accident or it was just very quick to get into Google!