Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Passenger

Default Antwerp pier location

We are traveling independently and must get ourselves to the point of departure in Antwerp which is given as Scheldekai 19. This address does not show up on MapQuest or Mappy. We will be arriving in Antwerp by train and would appreciate any advice as to where Scheldekai 19 might be located since it appears that there are many docks located off of the river front. I am sure that a cab driver will know but it is nice to have advance info just in case he doesn't know! Thanks! Clarence
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Antwerp pier location

We had the same question prior to our cruise on Viking Sky from Antwerp in July. We also travelled independently. (Our dock was to be either Kattendijkdok or Willemsdok. We were told to try Katt... first and if the boat was not there, then Will...) I found a site on the internet with a map of Antwerp, so had something of an idea of the "lay of the land" and where our docks were. Just looked again on that map but could not see your dock.

I am sure you are aware that Antwerp has 2 train stations. The Centraal station is much closer to the docks than the Berchem station. It is not a long taxi ride at all from Centraal to the docks. I think your driver will be able to take you easily to your dock, though he may not know the boat. Our driver knew the docks well and gave us a mini tour through Antwerp on the way.

I suggest you contact Viking again, either directly or through your travel agent, for more specific information. (Sometimes it just takes a repeat call or two to find a representative who has the information you need.)
Old September 15th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Antwerp pier location

Thanks, goforfun. I did do some digging after getting no responses to my inquiry and I contacted someone in Antwerp who gave me great directions. Antwerp has a "Cruise Terminal" right on the River Schelde where both ocean going cruise ships and river boats dock. That is where the Schedlekaai 19 is located. I am sure that a taxi driver from the Central train station will know where to take us but I like to be prepared in the event that he really tries to "take us"! That may be an occurrence unlikley to happen in a town such as Antwerp. One week and we will be on our way "up the river!" Incidentally, we are not on a Viking boat but this forum is the closest thing I could find. Clarence
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Antwerp pier location

Good for you, Clarence. Glad you got the info you needed. I share your concern about being taken for a "ride", though it has never happened to us in Europe--that we know of. (This trip I wrote addresses on a small cards to show the taxi drivers--never had any trouble with our poor pronunciation in French or Flemish being misunderstood.) Enjoy your trip--it is a wonderful itinerary.