Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:30 AM
Liz B

Default Transfers from Frankfurt

We have recently booked a Rhine river cruise from Frankfurt and are making our own flight arrangements. I believe Viking offer transport from Frankfurt airport to Frankfurt port. Does anyone know if it is cheaper to book local transport for the transfers and if so, can anybody recommend anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Transfers from Frankfurt

I preface my comments with the warning that I have never done this transfer so maybe others will have more reliable information.

The Frankfurt Airport homepage http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/cms...airport_en.htm offers helpful information under "Getting to/from the Airport".

It is indicated that a taxi costs about 20 Euros to the city center so I would imagine that a trip to the ship should not be much more unless it is docked in Mainz. Other than private transfers that would seem to be the most reasonable for people with luggage and I doubt that you can get a private transfer for anything close to that price. And remember, the price of a taxi is for two while other modes such as bus or train cost per person.

Hope you have a wonderful trip and that others more familiar with Frankfurt will correct any mis-information that I have provided! Clarence
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Liz B

Default Re: Re: Transfers from Frankfurt

Thank you Clarence for the information. We have been quoted a price of 100 dollars per person round trip through our travel agent for a round trip. There are 3 of us so that is 300 dollars round trip which seems a lot to me. I am not sure how far it is.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Transfers from Frankfurt

You might also want to cross post your request on the Cruise Critic BB that has a special forum for River Cruises. I know that links don't post on this BB but maybe you can cut and paste it. There is considerably more activity on that BB than this one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191

They do have some mini-van taxis in Europe and I would imagine that they would likely be found at the airports. There will be someone managing the taxi queue outside of the terminal who will probably be able to help you find a large car or mini-van that will handle all three people and their luggage. Even if it is 30 Euro or 40 Euro you will still come out way ahead!

And you may be able to finagle your way onto the bus back to the airport at the end of the cruise for free if they have some empty seats (which is likely). I was able to do this with Grand Circle but have not yet sailed with Viking (but am leaving next week for their Yangtze River Three Gorges tour!).

Happy sailing!

Clarence