CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Viking River Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viking-river-cruises/)
-   -   Grand European - Direction (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viking-river-cruises/379293-grand-european-direction.html)

Ringo22 January 8th, 2011 02:04 PM

Grand European - Direction

We are making plans for the Grand European River Cruise between Amsterdam and Budapest. Is there any benefit from starting from the Amsterdam end or the Budapest end. For example, would we be sailing into the sun on one or the other direction? Does the scenery look any different from either direction?

anniegb January 8th, 2011 02:56 PM

When are you sailing?

kandajones January 8th, 2011 04:33 PM

Hi there, Annie's question was also the first thought that came to my mind. So whilst we await that I'll just throw a couple of comments in....

As you will be travelling pretty much Norty/South or South/North, then sailing into the won't really be an issue, but you may want to think about port or starboard so that you get either the morning sunshines, or afternoon/evening sun.

The river that you will be sailing down are fairly narrow, so the scenery will remain fairly similar along the route, and if you are on deck, then you get to see both banks of the rivers.

The question I would be asking myself is, if I was to add a couple of days onto the end of the voyage, then would I prefer to spend that time in Amsterdam or Budapest, and of course that depends on what your interests are.

Hope that gives you some food for thought,

Alan & Katrina

anniegb January 8th, 2011 05:20 PM

Another question I meant to ask was how quickly would you be flying back (I assume to the US)?

Budapest is one of my favourite European cities but Amsterdam with Schipol has I would imagine the better airline connections.

Ringo22 January 9th, 2011 12:44 PM

We are currently looking at Sept 4 from Budapest or 18th from Amsterdam

anniegb January 9th, 2011 02:52 PM

Bearing in mind Alan and Katrina's excellent points - I would sail into Budapest - just a personal preference but I hope to sail the Vienna to Budapest stretch one day. I love the stretch of the Danube at Budapest.

As you would be sailing North-South, Budapest would be warmer.

If you have the time, budget etc there is a lot to recommend a pre/post stay in both cities depending upon your interests.

If there is anything else I can help with, please ask.

Annie

Ine January 11th, 2011 08:57 AM

Weatherwise I would go for September 4.

kandajones January 11th, 2011 03:10 PM

Hi again, it's a pity that the dates aren't the other way round, it would be much simpler then.

I would have to agree with Annie and cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest, as a delay of a couple of weeks isn't going to make that much difference top the weather in Europe, and sailing into Budapest is going to be far more memorable the sailing into Amsterdam, especially in the last couple of days when the landscape of the South is going to be far more interesting, as it will be constantly changing.

Whatever you decide, we hope you have an amazing and memorable time,

Alan & Katrina

gracydaisss September 3rd, 2013 10:35 AM

well how was the trip if i may ask ?? ;)