Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windjammer (Out of Business)
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Bob
Default age and agility?

Are most of the passengers under 40 and in top physical form? We are over 45 and our travel group is up to 75yrs old. No wheelchairs and walkers needed, but I would love to do one of these cruises, but am concerned that we well "stick out" and some of us older ones may feel uncomfortable. I am curious about the types of passengers on Windjammer.
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: age and agility?

What you need for Windjammer is a young at heart attitude.
Your group will be fine if no one has a problem with a little rocking and roling, perhaps some tight quarters (depending on the ship and accomadation) and the ability to climb up and dowm a steeper than normal staircase here and there. Pack your tee shirts and bathing suits , leave your ties and tuxedos behind and go for it. You will encounter cruisers from 6 to 80 .
Old March 15th, 2002, 03:44 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: age and agility?

Bob, I've been browsing thru all these boards and have decided that Windstar is probably more suited to the over 45 set in a sailing ship. Previously we've done Princess, but are considering something different. I understand Windstar is much more comfortable. Why don't you check out their msg bd, if you haven't already?
Old June 15th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed with a young-at-heart woman of 94 years on the Mandalay...she had a great time and everyone else did, too! The Mandalay particularly is a ship where a group from age 45 - 75 or 80 would be quite at home!! For a person who prefers the major cruise line atmosphere, Windjammer may not be the cruise to take, but if you like adventure, laidback atmosphere...here you are!!!
Old December 11th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Passenger

Hi Bob, we're in much the same boat, in our 40s, want to try Windjammer for our 25th anniversary. We're not obese, but no longer skinny by any means. I recently got a new Windjammer brochure, and pointed out to my wife that "most look like us", a little salt with the pepper, and the old belt is somewhat strained by the belly. I have no desire to spend a week with the "young and beautiful" but am tired of the mega ship/midnight buffet (and those darned suits for dinner). Let me know, if you would, what you find out.

Cruzn
Old December 11th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Passenger

Hi Judy, we're still fairly agile (for a couple of old farts in our 40s) but we're wondering what Windjammer has to offer compared to the big cruise lines (been there, done that) and we're interested in something a bit more exotic than formals, suits/ties, and the Midnight Buffet.

Any info from anyone would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Cruzn
Old December 12th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: age and agility?

Read my 4 part trip report below and I think you will find Windjammer to be what you want.You can't do Flying Cloud as we did as she is currently in very long term drydock.
Other sights to check out are Windjammerfanclub.com and jammerbabe.com. Both have become the official unofficial sights for windjammer since coconutelegraph.com the official windjammer message board is not active.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:34 AM
Amir764

Default Works

That works so well for me, thanks.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to SakeDad
Default Windjammer

We took the Mandalay a couple of years ago and REALLY enjoyed it. But if you have ANY trouble walking up and down steep stairs you probably won't want to take a Windjammer. The regular cabins are below deck and can be VERY small with bunk beds, then there are a few Admiral cabins and the main deck but you still have to go up steep stairs to get to most of the meals and activities. The great part of Windjammer is it is EXTREMELY casual. You never need to wear shoes, long pants and even a shirt! (well, women might want to...although they do have nude sailings ) so you can leave all those formals at home. You get to know the crew very well and the food is AMAZING! And every day around 5pm is "swizzle time" where you have appetizers and the best rum punch in the world.
If you are serious about Windjammer make sure you go to the boards at jammerbabe.com as this will be the best place for all your info, and there are some great people there too.
NCL Star Repo Aft Cabin 10730 4/24/08
Holland America Noordam Suite SA7086 - Alaska 5/20/07
Monarch of the Seas April '06 JS1580 Ensenada
Victoria Empress Cabin 235, Yangtze River China, 10/05
Windjammer Barefoot, Grenadines (Gay Group)Admirals Cabin, Mandalay 8/02
See my Cruise Photos at www.sakedad.smugmug.com