Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windjammer (Out of Business)
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2002, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Default BVI Windjammer Post Script

Had a great vacation. Everything was just as we anticipated it. Just a few months later
Windjammer has scheduled the Flying Cloud for dry dock. All future cruises have been cancelled and Windjammer is putting booked cruisers on its other ships.
The sad part is the Flying Cloud has yet to be moved to drydock and from reports I've read is still anchored in Tortola harbor. I have read that the old girl needs 3 or 4 million dollars in renovations (she needed $250,000 in sails alone) and Windjammer may not invest the money in her. I feel privelaged to have sailed on this old girl and will be quite sad if she is not restored to her former beauty and returned to the fleet for others to enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2002, 08:45 AM
jim30034

Default Re: BVI Windjammer Post Script

I agree Bill. We have been on the FC five times. We loved the ship, the islands and the crew. If Windjammer is not able to restore her it would be a great loss. I know with the SOLAS laws coming into affect that her future was limited but I was hoping to get on board a few more times before 2010.
Old September 27th, 2002, 11:05 AM
jim30034

Default Re: Re: BVI Windjammer Post Script

The FC has been moved to the dry dock area in Trinidad. I do not know what the future holds but she is not at anchor at Tortola. There were sails in storage in Trinidad, according to the crew in June. The problem was getting them to the ship. When we went in June we blew out two sails, which the crew repaired and explained about the sail situation.
Old September 30th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: BVI Windjammer Post Script

Good to hear. I sure hope they put some new sails up, redo a few critical systems. patch up some of the teak here and there and put this old lady back where she belongs.
If you read my little review , you'll see we had a great time ( and I did not go into details
on ppp and Miss Flying Cloud contest).
I'm not one who usually duplicates the same vacation, but, I'd make an exception for Flying Cloud.
Old October 1st, 2002, 07:39 AM
jim30034

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: BVI Windjammer Post Script

It would be a real shame to lose the FC. We were married on board in 1990 and have been on five cruises with her since. She really has a special spot in our hearts.
We love the islands she visits and have always enjoyed the crew, the whole experience.

I hav etried to explain the PPP and the Miss Windjammer contest to the people I work with and I usually get funny looks. When they see the pictures the usual reaction is "they let you do that" or "I can't believe you did that". It really is another world and until it is experienced it is hard to understand.
Old October 1st, 2002, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BVI Windjammer Post Script

Although the ppp pictures (and Miss FC) are in our album, it is not something I bother to try to explain to anyone. They are just "you had to be there " kind of things.
I have enough trouble explaining to people why I like to cruise in general. Trying to explain what is special about a Windjammer, I don't try anymore.
I now gather that FC has been towed (engine issues?) to Trinidad by AG ( saw your post elsewhere). I ' m so glad. I hopr she is there for many anniversaries for you.