Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windjammer (Out of Business)
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2002, 05:54 PM
ss

Default Age??

Interested to hear from those of you who have gone on windjammer. What is the average age? If you have sailed on windjammer, have you sailed on any other line? Seems like the windjammer would be a blast, but am use to the luxury of the large line. Any thoughts?
Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2002, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Age??

Read my little reviews below of our WindJammer cruise and you will gey some idea of what it is all about. Then go to these two web sites with your questions.
windjammerfanclub.com
jammerbabe.com
Both are sort of unofficial /official web sites for WindJammer.
Do some research into the ships and itineraries as each attracts different age groups and some during the Summer have children aboard.
We had done 9 "regular" cruises prior to our WindJammer and although I am not giving those up (we leave next Monday on Celebrity Summit), I would do a WindJammer again in the future.
Age varied greatly on our cruise. Youngest early 20's , plenty of 30' and 40's
several 50's several 60's . We had singles, coupled up singles, married couples and family groups (married parents traveling with their adult children and significant others and 3 brothers travelling with wives or girlfriends).
We had a blast.
Old October 21st, 2002, 08:53 AM
Beginner

The age of passengers on any given WJ cruise will range anywhwere from 20-80 (this is excluding singles and junior jammer cruises). With the majority of passengers falling in the 35-55 age group. The age also tends to be higher on WJ non-sail ship the 'Amazing Grace'.

As for the luxury aspect, WJ is a more rustic cruise line. No deck chairs (except Legacy), no ice carvings or midnight buffets. On the other hand you DON'T have to wear tuxes or evening gowns for dinner or to stroll the decks in the evening.

It all depends on what you want, I have not sailed any other cruise line, but I can safely say that after sailing on a Windjammer, I would not sail any other. The best things about WJ to me are the ability to visit small out of the way islands the big ships can't get to and the size of the passenger group. With only about 130 passengers on the largest ships, you will probably meet everyone before the end of the cruise and also when you visit an island , you don't overwhelm it with thousands of people and actually get a chance to enjoy the towns without the crowds.

Hope this helps.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 11:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Age??

Papabill...thanks for your info on Windjammer. I have just started to gather info on them and try andnplan a trip for Easter break. I have cruised Celebrity, RCCL, NCL. We love to snorkel, dive, dance, enjoy good food and drink but don't exactly like the rigid structure and crowds on the big guys. Do you recommend any particlular ship or port for the Windjammer cruise? Does the size of the room compare to regular cruise ship?
Are there extra charges for using any of the gear or excursions?
The prices seem comparable but the airfare to the boarding site seems to be the negative. What are your suggestions?
Thanks,
Chuck
Old December 2nd, 2002, 11:56 AM
misterjohnny

Age is indeed all over the map. My wife and I went on the Legacy a few years ago. Due to the size of the ship, there is not much to do when you are at sea. You need to be a sun worshipper or somewhat outgoing (so you can enjoy interacting with the other cruisers) on those days. We were neither, so we would not go on a Windjammer cruise that had more than one "at sea" day. The rest of the cruise was fantastic. Just lower your expectations for the food.
Old December 4th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Age??

Sorry, I didn't notice your post. Snorkel gear (if you don't bring your own) is about $20-25
to rent for the week. Most times you would not need to go on a paid excursion as each day you anchor at a place where there are beach and water activities. On our cruise
(which by the way you cannot duplicate at this time as Flying Cloud is in long term drydock at best and maybe to be retired) there was an island tour of Tortola that cost about $12 , a worthwhile tour of Virgin Gorda that cost about $25 and there were several scuba and snorkel tours that were all priced reasonably (but as I said not necessary). The shore snorkeling off Peter Island was as good in many respects as the tour we took to Norman Island the same day, for example.
Winter fares to the Caribbean can be expensive and some of Windjammers starting points are a bit exotic (like Grenada). If you go between April and December fares are usually lower. Windjammer did have a program where they would get you to any of their ports for $399 rt from Miami. Check that out.