Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windjammer (Out of Business)
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Jeff Terrell

Default Been on the biggies, wanna try Windjammer..

Anyone have any suggestions for which ship, itinerary? We'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary next year, tired of the mega ships and suits (YUK!). Any of you "Jammers" (is that right?) out there, feel free to email us with suggestions, ideas, comments, etc.

Jeff Terrell (cruzn@mailgods.com)
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Been on the biggies, wanna try Windjammer..

You will find very little response to your inquiry here. Most "jammers" post on
jammerbabe.com and windjammerfanclub.com. Plenty of discussion there about ships and itineraries. I believe you will find the Windjammer experience QUITE a bit different than a typical cruise, but a blast non the less. I wrote a 4 part trip report below.
It will give you a pretty good idea what the experience is all about (Flying Cloud however is not an option as she is in long term drydock).
Old December 12th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Been on the biggies, wanna try Windjammer..

Thanks, Papa Bill, checking the other sites you recommended now. Just recently read a book called "The Ship and the Storm" (or vice versa) about Hurricane Mitch and the loss of the Fantome. Was left feeling profound sorrow for the loss of Capt. Guyan and crew, as well as impressed with the devoted following of Windjammer. Left me feeling as if I've missed something on the "regular" cruise lines we've frequented. Wife and I have decided that we're only going to have one 25th anniversary, and God willing, we're going to spend it on a Windjammer ship.

Please feel free to email me your thoughts, impressions, recommendations, etc about ships, itineraries (we were thinking about either the ABC's or the Tortola one, is another ship going to replace Flying Cloud on that route?). Your time and efforts will be greatly appreciated.

Our best to you, Jeff and Tina Terrell (cruzn@mailgods.com)
Old December 12th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Been on the biggies, wanna try Windjammer..

Windjammer has two ships in their homeport that they bought to refit to their type of cruising and also to meet upcoming changes to SOLAS (safety of life at sea) regulations. It would appear that after 9/11 they may have had a money issue and never refitted the two ships. Then in August something pretty drastic must have happened with Flying Cloud, it was abruptly taken out of service and towed to the homeport. No work has been done on her and I do not believe there are plans to replace her soon.
Legacy runs a somewhat similar route, hitting ports in the USVI's and BVI's out of St Thomas about half of the year. Gram and I would probably like to do the ABC's but there is something to be said for doing the more exotic routes where most of the stops are secluded beaches just for the jammers. Do keep in mind the accomadatios are Quite Spartan. Some cabins are not as big as the walk in closet in my bedroom and many have Bunk type setups. Some have shared baths.Choose your cabins carefully. On most of the ships there are one or two "special" cabins,( Burkes Berths, Admiral Suites or Honeymoon suites.). These usually have something more like "real" amenities and beds a little more compatible with a 25th anniversary trip. Can't help with much more but feel free to ask.
We researched the heck out of our Windjammer trip before going and it stood up very
well to our expectations (I think because we knew what we were getting into.).
Feel free to ask away , I'd be happy to try and answer anything specific.