Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windjammer (Out of Business)
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Default Windjammer Barefoot Cruises

My wife & I have had some wonderful cruises with Windjammer but recently had such a bad experience, we'll never sail with them again. We booked a 13 day cruise on the Amazing Grace in the Burke's Berth suite. This is the finest stateroom in their fleet, costing nearly twice as much as the second best. We booked it in March 2004 for our 35th anniverary in January 2007. This past January (1/06) I happened to call to ask a minor question about the cruise & was told that the ship was out of service & that whenever it returned, it would no longer do the same itinerary nor length of cruise. I understand things can change but what I am upset about is not being told about it, particularly because they have nothing they can replace it with. We have rebooked a 10 day cruise on the Tahitian Princess.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Admiral

For many years Amazing Grace did the 13 day itinerary , up and down the legnth of the Windjammer "territory" supplying the other ships and providing an interesting experience for the passenger. Having booked the Honeymoon suite on Flying Cloud I can appreciate the benefits of the Burkes Berth on Amazing Grace. It seems that one by one the ships of Windjammer are falling to a state of disrepair that they cannot afford to recover from. Windjammer as a company has booked prepaid cruises in advance as way to raise cash now, and has tried the "time share" method of selling cabins to raise cash as well. Regardless they seem to be slowly dieing. Unable to compete in the current world despite the small but loyal following. Too bad. We enjoyed our Windjammer experience. When Chuck Palm a frequent poster here , sailed Amazing Grace last year he commented on her poor state of repair and I feared she would be the next to fall. Looks like she has.Sorry your vacation plans were ruined.
Old April 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
First Mate

Maybe switching reservations to Windstar 2207 was a good idea.
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Beginner

Sadly, the Amazing Grace is no longer in service and is up for sale.

Windjammer is undergoing some management changes, and you should see some positive things in the future.
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Passenger

My wife and I have been saving for the last couple of years to take a Caribbean cruise. I’ve never had any desire to cruise on one of those huge floating hotels so I found a romantic cruise on a 196’ sailing yacht out of Grenada with Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. We paid for our cruise in full in June for a cruise leaving right after Thanksgiving. We search and found some low cost air fare tickets from Tampa, FL to St. George’s, Grenada. The bad thing is the tickets were non-refundable. We bought trip insurance just in case. We also bought trip insurance for the cruise. Last week we received an email from Windjammer Barefoot Cruises stating that our cruise had been canceled in Grenada and that they could rearrange our cruise leaving from Costa Rica. We didn’t want to buy more tickets to fly to Costa Rica so we asked for a refund. Come to find out Windjammer Barefoot Cruises has been in finical difficulties for the last several years and none of their ships has even sailed in the last couple of months leaving passengers and crews high and dry in the ports where their ships were. Groups were taking up donations to fly the crews left with no pay home. When we asked for a refund they told us in so many words if we didn’t rearrange to cruise out of Costa Rica it would be next April at the earliest before we will see a refund. Well they are still taking people’s money telling everyone that their next cruise is set for Nov 3rd from Costa Rica but through hearsay they still don’t have clearances to leave port. We are still going to fly to Grenada in November but we have found and made other arrangements while there. I don’t think we will ever see a refund from Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. As for the cruise trip insurance it does not cover you if the cruise line goes out of business.
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Well, if the cruiseline hasn't gone out of business yet......and they've canceled your trip, I think your trip insurance would cover it. I would file a claim and see what happens! Good luck!

Melody
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to CM Rob
Default story

Here is a link to a great article about Windjammer

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...indjammer.html

Sea of Cortez - American Safari
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

After reading Paul Motters article about the fall of Windjammer, and reading these posts, this should be made into a movie.
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Nail
After reading Paul Motters article about the fall of Windjammer, and reading these posts, this should be made into a movie.
After reading Paul's latest articles about Windjammer, I think it can already be made into a mini-series.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...pt1-111607.cfm

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...pt2-111807.cfm

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...pt3-112007.cfm

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...pt4-112307.cfm

These links were posted on Flotilla's "WJ Updates" section that is open for anyone to read but someone there moved them to their "Flight Club" section that is open only to registered Flotilla members. I guess maybe it's just a way for them to protect their cult.

http://www.jammerbabe.com/flotilla/index.php
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM
Beginner

Just FYI regarding trip insurance paying for refunds on WJ. Part of the problem if you bought the trip insurance through them is that in at least some instances they didn't forward the money to the insurance company. Kept it just like they did crew tips.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys
Just FYI regarding trip insurance paying for refunds on WJ. Part of the problem if you bought the trip insurance through them is that in at least some instances they didn't forward the money to the insurance company. Kept it just like they did crew tips.
This is probably true, however it is not unusual for cruise lines to "self insure" - it is valid insurance when the cruise line is reputable, because they insure against trip cancellation by the passenger.

No cruise line offered insurance ever covers "company default". So, if you are buying a cruise on a marginal cruise line, always get third party insurance. If you can't get it, pick another cruise line.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Jammerbabe.com down?

Does anyone know if and or why the Jammerbabe site is down. I noticed the message boards were unreachable all day, and now the site is down. I hope this is not permanent.
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Beginner

PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE TO:
MICHAEL D. BURKE:

Lelia A. Mackin

444 Layton Terrace

The Villages, FL 32162
352-751-4444
leliamac58@embarqmail.com

April 26, 2008

Mr. Michael D. Burke
Windjammer Cruises
1759 Bay Road
Miami Beach, FL 33139-1413

Dear Mr. Burke:

In your e-mail (see attached copy) to me of October 24, 2007 you stated that I would receive a full refund of my $500 deposit for my scheduled sailing on the Polynesia on December 22, 2007: Booking # 3550650 which Windjammer Cruises cancelled.

I have made telephone, e-mail, and fax requests for this refund, but I have not received my refund.

Because you have delayed so long in making the refund you promised, I can no longer make a request through my credit card or bank which apparently was your intention. My bank recommended that I initiate a claim through my Small Claims Court which I intend to do if I do not receive a positive response to this letter and my $500 on or before May 8, 2008. A copy of this letter will be provided to the Small Claims Court along with all the other documentation I have. If my Small Claims Court action is not successful, I intend to ask my personal attorney to take appropriate legal action against Windjammer Cruises.

My parents, my sister, and I are repeat vacationers on Windjammer Cruises. It’s most unfortunate that our relationship has to end in this manner.

Sincerely,

Lelia A. Mackin

CC:
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The last I heard anyone who filed a small claims court suit won an automatic judgement because no one showed up to contest the suit.

I say it is worth having since it is seemingly so easy to get.

I once considered filing a small claims lawsuit against a travel agent who owed me a lot of advertising money. This was a travel agent who took a lot of cruise deposits and kept the money instead of forwarding it on to the cruise lines. That is against the law.

He is now in jail.

It just amazes me that the Burkes have managed to avoid any legal consequences so far. Sometimes I think Florida is corrupt state if you know the right people.
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Beginner

Default why the burks did not pay refunds

Its all about the law,

as long as they promis trips on other sailings (even though they lied)
their is no point in suing them , the burks knew this.
but many people were frustrated by there inability to fix a ship but kept promissing they would but did not. but people held on like they would.

the reason why most people could not understand why they were doing this is most suits against people have a 2 year statute of limitation, meaning you have two years to bring action against them or your done.

since they were regestered as a US corp thats a 6year statute of limitation, so for all this time they pretended to be in business making false promisses till the statute of limitations ran out, now they owe nothing to their creditors that dident bring action. it was all a plan.

the new owners of WJ proberbly bought them for storage charges.
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

it is the most corrupt state, remember the 2000 election and those missing chads!