Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windjammer (Out of Business)
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Beginner

Default sv Polynesia cruise in ABC's cancelled on July 1, 2007

Anyone know why the July 1st cruise on the Polynesia from Aruba was cancelled?

I've got a very disappointed family - guess we'll spend a week at La Cabana Villas.

Hope it is really a mechanical issue, and not a business decision.

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Beginner

Tbohn, a friend of mine just returned from Aruba and saw that the Poly was docked all week at the cruise port. She later shared a cab with a couple staying at LaCabana who had been bumped from their WJ cruise due to a propeller issue. I feel your pain as my family is scheduled to go the following week. Have fun anyways.
Skibums
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Beginner

I heard the drive shaft was broken and the ship had to go to dry dock.
When did Windjammer let you know that the trip was cancled?
Are they paying up front for THE Villa's? or are they going to reimburse you?
Did they offer you a free cruise for later on?
or maybe a transfer to another ship?
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Beginner

You will now receive a voucher for another cruise and a make-up cruise.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Beginner

I booked our cruise in mid-May, and recieved the cancellation notice on 6/21, 9 days prior to departure.

The original message said that they had arranged accommodations at La Cabana Villas (w/ meals included) and they would send free cruise certificates within 2-3 weeks. Not ideal, but marginally acceptable.

Upon arrival, we met the rep at the airport, and were informed that we would be going to the ship, rather than the hotel. We waited for an additional 3 hours before the activities mate and purser informed us that we'd be staying on the ship, tethered to the pier for the entire week, rather than at La Cabana. There wasn't even a captain on-board or senior officer in sight.

Sitting at a pier next to a dumpster, surrounded with diesel exhaust fumes, with a view of the ship yard and fuel tanks did not come close to our expectations.

We went to La Cabana, booked our own rooms and paid for the entire week on my MasterCard. I will submit our expenses to WJC and expect that they will reimburse me, although I can't get any confirmation from their customer service manager; I've been trying since 7/2.

The most disconcerting thing is that the management in Miami made the decision that we'd be staying on board rather than at La Cabana during the previous week, but didn't let us know until we had arrived in Aruba. Had I known, I would have altered our travel plans. From a couple of other sources, it seems that the Poly hasn't been sea-worthy for a couple of weeks prior to our vacation, and it was sitting at the dock when we left earlier this week.

I've got the names of the other passengers and we will work together to get this resolved. If anyone else is having similar issues and would like to work with us, please bounce me a message.
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Beginner

I am scheduled to leave on the poly Aug 5th! I am going single as my husband of 35 years has left with a 30 year old kid. When will I know if I am still going? Should I call them and ask. I really don't want to do a resort vacation alone. What do you think I should do?
Jeri
she let herself go!
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Beginner

Jeri,

That cruise is supposed to be a family cruise with kids ages 6 and up. You may have more fun on another ship anyways.
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Beginner

OMG! I had no idea it was a family cruise. I booked at a fantastic rate so I doubt I could change. That week is my only available one until Christmas. I did the single share and have a room mate about my age. This ought to be interesting. I just hope the ship is seaworthy by then. Anyone know about that?
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Beginner

Still haven't heard from Joanne Cuevas, the customer service manager or received the vouchers.

After waiting for a response from customer service for a full week AFTER our non-cruise ended, and still not getting anywhere, I filed a dispute with MasterCard. Fortunately the charges were less than 60 days old and MasterCard will work to resolve this.

Vacation time with my family is to valuable to waste with Windjammer. If you're brave enough to risk it,Travel Insurance is a MUST.

:evil:
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Beginner

See my post above from deadchick. Unfortunately as of August 19th, 2007 the ships have been seized for nonpayment of port fees and tour operator fees. The crews have not been paid in weeks. It is truly sad.
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Beginner

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises is in all sorts of trouble, not just the Poly but the whole fleet and, in fact, the whole company. See http://travel-babel.blogspot.com/200...ed-waters.html .