Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windjammer (Out of Business)
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Beginner

Default general questions for upcoming cruise

One more post. What do I really need to pack? I read the doors don't lock on the cabins when you are out of them, so what do you do with your cash and credit cards, passport etc. after you board? I really hate shoes, will I really get to be barefooted even at dinner? What if I don't want to get off the ship in port? Can I just sit on deck and read? Is the bar open during port days? I have done several cruises on big lines and know what to expect there. This will be a new one for me, plus, I am going alone.
Poly Aug 5, 2007!
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Beginner

1st Have you contacted Windjammer to find out if the Poly is fixed?

I don't think she is sailing.
Old July 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Beginner

According to their customer service rep, my sailing is still scheduled. I hope so! Packing ideas anyone?
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Beginner

For Packing and any other info on the cruise try www.jammerbabe.com
scroll down & look under "frequently asked questions" there is a Sticky note at the top about
Packing and everything else you would want to know. Also on the main page scroll down below frequently asked questions and click on the Poly forum to follow the repairs to the ship.

best of luck and hope you have a great trip.
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:43 AM
Beginner

I'll try and answer some of your questions here in case you haven't found the info elsewhere.

Packing
Pack as light as you can. My wife and I can easily do two weeks with just carry on luggage. That may be tougher now with TSA regulations, but the less you pack the better. You really need two bathing suits, a few pairs of shorts, a pair or two of sandals for on shore and a few shirts... that's about it.

Cabin Doors
That is correct, the doors do not lock when you leave your cabin. However, In my 11 weeks on the ships to date and from talking to other Jammers, I have never heard of anything being stolen from a cabin. You've got to remember its a small ship and everyone pretty well knows everyone, so its pretty hard to hide if you're a thief, and the crew is very honest and honorable. In a hurry I once rushed out of my cabin and left a few hundred dollars scattered on the bed... now I don't recommend this, but when I got back, our bed was made and all the money replaced in the same scattered manner I had left it, except it was now on the made bed. Your passport is held by the ship's purser for the cruise, so you don't have to worry about that.

Being Barefoot
Yes, you really can be barefoot all the time, even at dinner. I mean the captain is, so why not you? In fact that is my WJ'er tradition; as soon as I get to my cabin, I kick off my sandals and they only see my feet again when I'm going ashore.

In Port and at the Bar
If you don't want to get off at port, you're welcome to stay on the ship and some people do. The bar is almost always open in port, the only exception I could think of is if a particular local law prohibited it opening, although I have never come across that.

Hope all this helps, so just relax and get ready for an awesome cruising experience... you'll love it!!
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM
Beginner

Thanks so much! I leave Sunday!!!!!
Jeri, cruising single!
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM
Beginner

We're behind you by a month. My wife and I board the Poly September 2nd for two weeks.

Enjoy!
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Beginner

Hi Geri,
I'm Jackie from Olympia and I'm hoping to be on Legacy in a few days. Here's what I remember from cruising on Yankee Clipper...barefoot is good all the time (except certain shore excursions, tours etc.) Pack lightly, you probably don't need as much as you think. Do bring sunscreen, insect repellent, sunglasses, camera and a beach towel. If you own snorkel gear, bring it along, otherwise you can rent. Optional but useful, a local guide/tour book (in case for some unexpected reason your trip is delayed and or canceled due to mechanical or other difficulties) If you want to know more, check out jammerbabe.com It is a very comprehensive site. Best of luck on your upcoming cruise!!

~Jackie
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Beginner

Here's the deal, Less is better, no valuables (people on WJ aren't going to be impressed with your Rolex, although they may own one) It's Laid back easy going and fun. WJ people all share a common thread no matter where they are from, careful you may become addicted. VERY different from a cruise! I will be completing my 7th & 8th weeks this October. I have always travelled alone, with an assigned cabin mate. Never had a problem all were good people. Forget the Tommy Bahama silk shirts if you are travelling in the warmer months, TOO HOT! Light walking shorts, boots if you hike, COTTON is king ie, Look at crazyshirts.com, Maybe one or two TB shirts if you go off the boat at night for dinner while in port. Use a suitcase with a good lock to keep your money, camera, etc. Seriously leave the jewelry at home, along with egos and attitudes, relax, read, rest or tear it up and party like a crazy person. I've met wonderful friends that I'm still in touch with. I had a love affair on a three week trip that you could make a movie from... yes, it was that perfectly beautiful and we still travel together three years later (she's Australian). If you are on a WJ trip with the right mix of people you'll never want to do anything else, that's why when you read testimonials you see people whom have 20, 30 or 40 plus trips. I'm a west coast guy and stay up a little later than most due to the time difference. Do yourself a favor go up on deck check out the full moon over the water, balmy breezes and gentle seas.....You'll think your in heaven! Goodluck! ronnimac
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Beginner

Default oops!

Sorry, I just realized you may have already gone on your trip. If so let me know how you liked it. I hope it was a great experience.

Take care, ronnimac
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:19 AM
Beginner

I just left the Poly yesterday. I don't think she will sail this week. The crew has only been partialy paid. The heatexchanger for the generator had not arrived as of 10:30am (8/22.07). It takes time to clean, check re-assemble and install the new (USED) heat exchanger. It takes about 12 hours to sail to Curacao and another 6 to reach Bonaire. So I don't think the Poly is going anywhere this week. It may sail next week but check with Captian Cesar at 561 4997 That is a local Aruba number. Good Luck