Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windjammer (Out of Business)
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Beginner

Default Problems In Paradise

Windjammer has been experiencing money/cash flo problems. Pax have been stranded and ships have been impounded, crew wages were unpaid as were vendors of necessary services.

Rumor has it that a White Knight is on the horizon to purchase this company. However, execute caution if booking a vacation cruise with Windjammer. You could be set adrift !
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The "unofficial" buzz is that family ownership of Windjammer Barefoot Cruises is coming to an end. The Miami Herald and Travel Weekly have recently published articles stating this.

Captain Burke, who originally started the cruise line with a nineteen foot sail boat, The Hangover, that he won after an all night drinking binge.

Sadly, Burke suffered an incapacitating stroke in 2005, son and President, Daniel Burke died of a drug overdose and things haven't been going well for the company and control was moved to a family trust. They had a $30 million profit and have been having a hard time of late.

The lawyer who controls the trust, Stephen Pallister has stated that they are making a deal with TAG Virgin islands, a private equity firm. What that "deal" is has not been made clear.

This could mean some problems for people with upcoming cruises but nothing has been substantiated. Windjammer's S/V Yankee Clipper was detained by port authorities in Grenada over the Aug. 18-19 weekend after a U.S. crew member filed a complaint for about $9,000 in unpaid wages. A dispute over unpaid wages for the crew of the Aruba-based Polynesia reportedly prevented the ship from embarking as planned Aug. 20.

Two of the company's four ships are sailing right now with one in port for repairs. The fourth, the Polynesia, was seized by creditors in Aruba but the Captain stated that he feels the ship will be allowed to sail soon. This sounds like famous last words, in my opinion.

If I had a cruise booked on Windjammer I would make sure I had travel insurance and take a look at the fine print and make sure that it covers Windjammer for Supplier Default and bankruptcy.

As of right now there has been no OFFICIAL statements from Windjammer about this so there is nothing concrete to go on but IN MY OPINION it smells fishy and it isn't because of the sea.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Beginner

Default It Is Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M

As of right now there has been no OFFICIAL statements from Windjammer about this so there is nothing concrete to go on but IN MY OPINION it smells fishy and it isn't because of the sea.

Take care,
Mike
Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. I have been on other boards and have to agree with you. Rumor has it that TAG is not going to purchase/pump money into WJ. Apparently, Windjammer is now trying to put together another deal. Most folks are quite upset that the crews have not received pay or tips for months and have taken a wait and see attitude.

It's really quite a shame. This company has been around for a very long time and offers a very unique approach to cruising.

Supercub
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Beginner

Anyone know whether Windjammer Barefoot Cruises' problems have been resolved -- or are being resolved? There were rumors that another company would take it over and pump some needed revenuces into the fleet to keep it going. But no recent news seems forthcoming.
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Passenger

My wife and I have been saving for the last couple of years to take a Caribbean cruise. I’ve never had any desire to cruise on one of those huge floating hotels so I found a romantic cruise on a 196’ sailing yacht out of Grenada with Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. We paid for our cruise in full in June for a cruise leaving right after Thanksgiving. We search and found some low cost air fare tickets from Tampa, FL to St. George’s, Grenada. The bad thing is the tickets were non-refundable. We bought trip insurance just in case. We also bought trip insurance for the cruise. Last week we received an email from Windjammer Barefoot Cruises stating that our cruise had been canceled in Grenada and that they could rearrange our cruise leaving from Costa Rica. We didn’t want to buy more tickets to fly to Costa Rica so we asked for a refund. Come to find out Windjammer Barefoot Cruises has been in finical difficulties for the last several years and none of their ships has even sailed in the last couple of months leaving passengers and crews high and dry in the ports where their ships were. Groups were taking up donations to fly the crews left with no pay home. When we asked for a refund they told us in so many words if we didn’t rearrange to cruise out of Costa Rica it would be next April at the earliest before we will see a refund. Well they are still taking people’s money telling everyone that their next cruise is set for Nov 3rd from Costa Rica but through hearsay they still don’t have clearances to leave port. We are still going to fly to Grenada in November but we have found and made other arrangements while there. I don’t think we will ever see a refund from Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. As for the cruise trip insurance it does not cover you if the cruise line goes out of business.