Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windjammer (Out of Business)
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Is there a suitable Windjammer Replacement?

What ship/line is your second choice when it comes to the WJ style?

From what I have heard of Windjammer, the onboard experience was truly something special. But I think it is a really rarity, and that it explains why they went under.

The lines was not that expensive for a 1-week cruise. Plus they gave you free rum, and wine with dinner. Under those circumstance there is not really that much chance for them to make onboard revenue.

The line went downhill because the didn't seem to have operating expenses. Of course, I also heard the kids used the business account like their own personal piggybank, but that's another story.

The question is - is there another Windjammer-like company out there. I honestly cannot say I personally know of one, but I also don't spend much time on these kinds of ships (I prefer bigger ships).

I just came back from Star Clippers. I was on their biggest ship, which is beautiful. But it costs far more and it does not have the same free-wheelin' onboard atmosphere. You pay for every drink, and people do not socialize with the crew nearly so much.

I have heard about the Arabella, but I don't know it.

Another company called "the Moorings" looks promising, but I think they are smaller and probably pricier than Windjammer. Maybe you know more about them than I do. Bottom line - who is your second choice?
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
Beginner

There is a new sailing ship built in Canada that just began sails in the Caribbean this year. It sails in Canada during the summer. It is the Caledonia and is owned and operated by Canadian Sailing Expeditions. It is a 245’ square-rigged barquentine. While the whole experience isn't exactly the same as the Windjammer experience was, it is quite similar and a lot of WJers are starting to sail on her.

The S V Caledonia is the largest sailing ship built in Canada in over 100 years, and is up-to-date with all the newest safety regulations. The best thing that I experienced with this company is that it is not at all like the old Windjammer Barefoot Cruise company. When sailings got changed because of delays in the dry-dock schedule, they paid the airfare changes (whether you bought the air from them or not) plus they also gave a very nice credit as a 'Sorry'. I was most impressed.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Thank you Aaratron...

I really wonder if part of the problem was the fact that Windjammer couldn't give that kind of customer service because they weren't making enough money in the long run.

I mean the cruises were relatively cheap. It takes a lot of crew to run a sail ship, they gave away the booze much of the time, etc. Most cruise lines structured that way charge 3-times what WJ did.

There is a reason the ships went downhill so fast after they stopped sailing - they were already pretty delapidated eevn when they were sailing full.
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Beginner

I suspect a lot of the cash-flow problems at WJ were due to them mortgaging the future by selling those cheap 'Sail 5' and 'Sail 10' to get cash in advance. Those 'specials' were making a week sail so cheap they could only have been sold to get lots of money in fast (the same as the 'Le Mere' cheat.)

I think there was probably a lot of financial hanky panky going on and the hole just kept getting deeper and deeper for the WJ company.

Greed is an awful thing to see.