CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Windjammer (Out of Business) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/windjammer-out-business/)
-   -   Dpt of Homeland Security looking for Windjammer Victims (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/windjammer-out-business/361784-dpt-homeland-security-looking-windjammer-victims.html)

poly422 February 24th, 2009 10:50 PM

Dpt of Homeland Security looking for Windjammer Victims

Hi I bought a 10 trip timeshare for the Le Mer at a cost of $10,000. I used 8 of the trips on other Windjammer ships. I therefore lost $2000.

I would appreciate being contacted by the person who posted the article about the DHS looking into it.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ews-022409.cfm

Thanks,
Ester

bequia beach bum February 25th, 2009 07:22 AM

I provided a 10 trip business loan to WJBC for the Le Mer project at a cost of $14,950. I used 6 of the trips on other Windjammer ships. WJBC therefore defaulted on 40% of that loan or $5980. Not to mention various airline change fees, fuel surcharges collected but never reimbursed, and hotel charges due to cancelled trips. The total amount that I would claim from WJBC would be approximately $10,265.

I would appreciate being contacted by the person who posted the article about the DHS looking into it.

Thanks,
Scott L

badgirlinAZ February 25th, 2009 08:46 AM

I purchased a 10 cruise timeshare with Windjammer for 15000.00 I only used 3 cruises and was therefore defrauded out of 10500.00. Plus other incidental expenses like the maintenance fees, transfer fees, and other incidentals for cancelled cruises in which I was unable to use my timeshare...and have documenation of all items.

Any assistance you could provide throwing the Burkes in jail would be MOST EXCELLENT - since we all know we are not getting our money back!

Thanks

Amanda

Lars February 25th, 2009 08:56 AM

Purchased LeMer 10 trip, used three, lost seven. Original price approx. $13,500.

Suggest you contact the original independent marketing agent for the program to get a full list of buyers.

Tomtoes February 25th, 2009 09:32 AM

In the fall of 2004, I provided what I consider to be a business loan to Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, Miami Fl. in the amount of $15K for them to purchase and re-build a new deluxe sailing ship to add to the fleet.. They (WJBFC) were to pay me back in 10 annual "Cruises for two on their fleet of ships". I was able to collect on 4 of the repayments. As of January 2008, on which another annual re-payment of a cruise was due to me, Windjammer folded their business and left hundreds, if not thousands of investors, as well as a few hundred crew stranded and unable to collect on their debts.
That leaves a balance due to me of $9K,

Please contact me for any other information needed.

Thank you,
Tom

Neko February 25th, 2009 09:38 AM

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises

Hello,

I wasn't connected with either the LaMer or Sail5/Sail10; however, I did lose $1900.00. My funds were in the Salt-It-Away Program to be used against further cruises. Please have the DHS person contact me.

Mpiper February 25th, 2009 10:22 AM

Hello,
We purchased 10 vacation timeshares with Windjammer at the cost of $13,300.00. We used nine of them and are owed $1,300.00.

I would GREATLY appreciate someone getting in touch w/us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,
L and J M

Fraeulein February 25th, 2009 02:04 PM

I am fortunate enough not to have lost a lot of money, however, being retired and disabled any amount is a great loss. I bought 3 cruise specials ($399.00 ea), got reimbursed by Discover Card for 1 booking, but not from VISA for the other two (2) in the amount of $798.00

arizonaranch February 25th, 2009 03:01 PM

In 2003 and again in 2004, I purchased a total of 20 Pre Paid Vacation weeks on the future Windjammer La Mer or a right to use on any other existing ship in the Windjammer Fleet for a total of $19,350...

In 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 I used 14 of the vacation weeks. With Windjammer going out of Business I am left with 6 prepaid unused weeks as follows...

Jan, 2008..2 Prepaid Vacation Sailing Weeks.....$1,935 ,
Jan, 2009..2 Prepaid Vacation Sailing Weeks.....$1,935 ,
Jan, 2010..2 Prepaid Vacation Sailing Weeks.....$1,935 ,
TOTAL $5,805

It's not the loss of the funds that hurts as much as the irrsponsible way the Burkes walked away from their responsibility to their investors, suppliers, loyal customers, loyal crews and loyal office staff..Plus the total distruction of the company that Capt Mike Burke and his wife June built up over 50 years of hard work...No children should ever treat their parents legacy this way.

chasdawson February 25th, 2009 04:16 PM

Greetings,
I purchased 10 shares for $12,500 and used 1. Windjammer owes me $11,250.

Thank you,
Chuck

nebraskajammer February 25th, 2009 06:01 PM

I lost $5480 (including the worthless travel insurance WJBC sold me) - 4 passengers when the Poly stopped sailing in July of 2007. Was promised 2 for 1 sailings - which never happened, then promised a cash refund that never happend.

FinnSailor February 25th, 2009 07:31 PM

In November 2005 I provided a business loan to Windjammer Barefoot Cruises intended to support their renovation of the ship LaMer in the amount of $9000, which was to be returned to me in the form of ten weeks of cruises. The LaMer was never completed, I was able to collect two of the cruise weeks on another vessel in the fleet before Windjammer and all of its ships stopped sailing, therefore Windjammer owes me $7200.

paula18paula February 25th, 2009 08:22 PM

I had paid in full for the Costa Rica trip that promised to be the big come-back under Joey's direction. Too much time had past for Discover to protect me from losing my money.

I lost $1,588.00 and would appreciate someone contacting me for some sort of compensation.

artic986 February 25th, 2009 09:13 PM

Paid in full for a timeshare on LeMur used one would love to get some$$ back :-? Any ideas?

bequia beach bum February 25th, 2009 10:01 PM

Have you got the message yet...... the Burke's are f***ing thieves.....

(I removed much of the remainder of this post. I thought it was too harsh. BBB)

BBB

badgirlinAZ February 25th, 2009 10:07 PM

Pretty sure we all agree on that one!

:)A

CinneMon February 25th, 2009 10:32 PM

(removed by author)

boss50 February 26th, 2009 06:49 AM

I bought into Le Mer also.

My wife and I bought into Le Mer and used 4 out of ten sailings so we would like to recover what ever we can. Please send me the information.

Dennis & Sheryl

Wesley Guy February 26th, 2009 09:45 AM

I lost $550 in Windjammers Salt Away program. They quite taking my calls and would not respond to my e-mails when I requested the status of the company.

TivoManiac February 26th, 2009 09:58 AM

Bought into the LaMer deal here to the tune of about $13,500 for an admirals suite. I have a nice archived email exchange with the negotiations on that too. I did manage to use 3 of the weeks before Windjammer vanished. So I am out about $9500.

nikfrind February 26th, 2009 08:53 PM

I purchased a Sail5 program for $2500 and did not get to use it before they ceased sailing

Phil&Liz February 26th, 2009 09:42 PM

An amazing display of organizing a blitz about WJ here. Almost all posts are the OP's first post.

" Hey, I know, lets all go to CM and post out losses"

While I agree many were taken by the crooks at WJ, this thread is obvious.

Phil & Liz

Tomtoes February 27th, 2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil&Liz
An amazing display of organizing a blitz about WJ here. Almost all posts are the OP's first post.

Phil & Liz

Phil and Liz,

The tone of your post leaves me "almost" speechless. :-?

The request to post over here was solicited by C/M. I am sure any person (even you) that was defrauded by WJBFC or any cruise line would like to have an avenue to recoup their losses. Through CruiseMates, We now have the name of the Government Agent that is requesting this information. Thank you for that Paul! I am sure you won't be bothered by us much longer. :wink:

BTW, I had been a member here for a number of years under another screen name, but I stopped visiting because after sailing on six Foo-Foo's I found that I preferred smaller Sailing Ships to the Big Cruisers.

Have a nice day! :D

PS: I will refer you the Cruise News article for your reading pleasure:

Tom

Phil&Liz February 27th, 2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomtoes

The request to post over here was solicited by C/M.
Tom

You are correct. I was "out of the loop" on that.
My apologies.

The end of the article shows..." Article continues below "...is there any more to it beyond "The federal government is the last hope of many people who lost money to the Burkes of Windjammer."

Phil & Liz

swizzle February 28th, 2009 06:43 AM

Sail10

Hello,
I purchased a Sail10 and only used 4 cruises. Purchase price was approximatly $6000.
What hurt the most was sucking a friend in to join us on a 2 week, back to back cruise from Costa Rica with the Joey Burke Revival Tour. My friend is out approximately $1,800. I will have him post on this site as well.
Please contact me if you need more info.
Steve H.

KateofSeaIsle February 28th, 2009 09:54 AM

I too was defrauded by WJ through the LaMer project. I invested approximatly $15,000. in September 2005 for a ten cruise plan. I used five of those cruises before WJ closed their doors, so I have lost about $7,500.

Thanks for your interest.

TivoManiac February 28th, 2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil&Liz

Phil & Liz

Phil & Liz, what experience if any do you have with WJBFC? By this post I'm guessing NONE. Many of us are out thousands of dollars and this would appear to be our last chance to recover anything from this. Unbelievable that you would chime in on something like this that does not involve you or concern you.

carmac February 28th, 2009 12:06 PM

Dpt of Homeland Security looking for Windjammer Victims

Purchased 10 La Mer cruises for 5455.00, used 6, which leaves 2182.00 plus the "maintenance fees" of 370.00 for a total of 2552.00. Please contact me for any other information.

CiLCiA February 28th, 2009 01:37 PM

We lost the $500.00 deposit for a Yankee Clipper cruise in March 2008.
Since the air was already booked we went to Grenada and had a great vacation. Let's all keep digging and maybe someday the Burke family will finally have to pay.

Eastocean March 1st, 2009 12:15 PM

Week 14 LeMer, cabin 604. $14K+ We took 3 trips on this account.

I have no need to editorialize.. We all know what happened, life goes on, and I will be sailing on a tall ship again in March.