Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windstar
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2003, 11:46 AM
NEILL ADAMS

Default BEWARE WINDSTAR NOT ALL WHAT IT SEEMS

HOPEFULLY THIS MESSAGE WILL GET OUT TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE THINKING ABOUT CRUISING ON WINDSTAR...DON'T!

1. SHIPS SAFETY IS NOT GOOD, FIRE ON WIND SONG WAS DUE TO POOR SAFETY A MATTER THAT HAD BEEN REPORTED TO COMPLANY MORE THAN A HUNDRED TIMES. THE FIRE GOT OUT OF CONTROL BECAUSE NO SAFETY SYSTEMS WORKED.
2. INDONESIAN CREW ARE FAIRLY MILITANT. APPRENTLY THEY ALL CHEERED WHEN WTC CAME DOWN.
3. BEHIND CLOSED DOORS THEY PRETTY MUCH DISLIKE ALL AMERICAN PAX.
4. THE TOURS ARE ABOUT SO OVER-PRICED AND SOME OF THE MONEY GETS POCKETED BY THE HOTEL DEPARTMENT.
5. THE GALLEY HYGIENE LEAVES A LOT TO BE DESIRED. FILIPINO WAIT STAFF AND KITCHEN STAFF NEVER WASH THEIR HANDS AFTER USING THE RESTROOM.
6. SENIOR OFFICERS USUALLY DRUNK ON DUTY.
7. SECURITY IS VERY POOR WITH EQUIPMMENT NOT WORKING.
8. AS AN EX EMPLOYEE, I CAN HONESTLY STATE THAT I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT. I FEEL REALLY SORRY FOR THE PAX WHO SPEND THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY ONLY TO GET RIPPED OFF AND HAVE THEIR PERSONAL SAFETY JEAPORDIZED.
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2003, 12:06 AM
rbullock

Default Re: BEWARE WINDSTAR NOT ALL WHAT IT SEEMS

What a distressing messge. All of this may be true, but if so, Windstar is doing an incredible job of covering it up. Our Windsurf cruise in the Bahamas (April 2002) was one of the best vactions of our lives. Until I hear a lot more to confirm this information, I am going to continue to chose Windstar.
Old July 13th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Myles

No offense intended, but I personally feel that any time a person finds that many things wrong, it very likely they have a hidden agenda. I do not concur with your analysis of this ship and her crew.
Old August 8th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Next week I am going on my fifth Windstar cruise in 6 years, including one in October of 2001 and I beg to differ with your assessment. The ships have always been safe, the wait staff has been very warm and personable and the senior officers have been superb. It is true that the wait and cabin staffs are Indonesian (as are all Holland America boat staff) and there are probably a few with anti-American sentiments but we never had contact with anyone who was less than fwarm, friendly and helpful at all times. It is also true that the ships are beginning to get a little worn and in need of some refurbishment, but I will take their small ship ambience over the monster skyscraper boats with their crowds and poor food and service any day!
As for price, there are some great deals out there and the prices are far less than other small ships such as Silversea and RSSC Song of Flower (also in need of refreshing).
You certainly do sound like an ex-employee (or other) with an ax to grind.
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Andrew & Jonathan

A disgruntled ex- employee me thinks!?!
Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM
PEG MANNING

Who posted this--a desperate competitor? I have cruised more than ten times, including a Radisson Diamond and a Renaissance, and far prefer my 7 Windstar cruises. We don't cruise any other line, and find the comments made by "Niall" ludicrous and pathetic. (He forgot the mandatory satanic rituals and human sacrifice!)

It's just as well; people who take him seriously can continue filling up the Monstrosity of the Seas ships while we continue our peaceful cruise under sail, with amazing food, terrific service, and attentive officers.
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I happen to agree with Andrew, just an ex employee that isn't happy, so he's bashing, very simple. I find it very difficult to believe that the crew dislikes american passengers, they need those passengers, right?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 11th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Polecat

We just returned from a wonderful week on Wind Spirit. The crew could not have been any better, the food was terrific, and the itinerary was great. The refubishment has begun. Our cabin had brand new carpeting , bedspreads, and drapes. The major work will be done after next week end when the ships go out of service for a week. This was our 5th Windstar cruise and I would go another one tomorrow if I could.
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Elena Saville

I am not an ex-employee of Windstar, but I completely agree with Neill Adams. I travelled everywhere in the world, but I never had such a horrible service for such high price.

The crew is simply rude and hating you.

Management is manipulative and greedy. They change their excursions schedule after their own deadline, mess all your plans, and refuse to give a refund. They demand for the tips 'for the crew' when the tips are already pre-paid.

Their scuba diving was the most dangerous diving I ever had - their instructors never dove in the places where they 'instruct'.

Avoid Windstar, if you can.
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:52 PM
First Mate

Hi,

I just returned home today after being on the Windstar inTahiti for one week...It was wonderful...My first was on the Windsurf in the Med 3years ago....It too was wonderful in every way.
The crew was great and more than friendly...the food was outstanding to say the least.
The windstar had just been refurbished and the rooms looked great.
What more can I say....We will choose the Winstar cruise lines for our next cruise to Greece.
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Beginner

Just returned home from a week on the Windstar in Tahiti.....It was wonderful...Our first Winstar cruise lines trip was on the Windsurf in the Med....It too was outstanding.

Please don't bash. You're not telling the truth...Everyone that goes on this cruises raves about the cruise lines......The staff, food, tours, and rooms are the best.......
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:58 PM
PhylSam

We traveled on the Wind Star in 1/03 and loved every moment of the trip to Tahiti. From the flawless, seamless travel arrangements to the ship, the food, the accomodations, the fellow passenngers, the staff and the excursions...all first rate and fun!

It was romantic and relaxing. The South Pacific was breathtaking!

I would do a Windstar cruise in a heartbeat. Just trying to find a way to getaway and a babysitter for my young twin daughters.
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As the publisher of CruiseMates, I can tell you tha I have been on Windstar and it is one of the finest cruise experiences I have ever had, and I have had many. Our editor, Anne Campbell, has stated publicly many times it is her favorite cruise line.

It is very dangerous to paint with such a broad brush. I wouldn't let this message deter me from a cruise on Windstar at all.

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Benton

Hey Paul,

11 supporting comments on a negative remark sounds rather supportive to the Wind Surf. I appreciate the 11 upbeat remarks. I am looking at taking my first Windstar cruise next Spring.
I saw the same thing happen on a Royal Princess Thread last year. Needless to say, I enjoyed sailing on the Royal Princess. It is rather interesting that a "bad apple" can bring out the best in others.

Benton, http://www.benkastman.net
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM
napster

Another exceptionally satisfied Windstar cruiser -- just returned from the Athens-Istanbul run, and it was top-notch. Crew and service were wonderful -- no complaints whatsoever. Food was incredible.

We did choose to devise our own shore excursions however, with fantastic results. I can't stand being herded like cattle. ;-) And the tours are a bit pricey.

napster
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I never listen to movie critics and I especially never listen to people who complain about cruising, They always seem to have a private agenda or they just like to see people get riled up....(Troll anyone?)
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Joe Zaragoza

We are getting ready to do a Tahiti Windstar cruise. We will find out for ourselves. We've done 6 cruises and cannot believe this....

Joe Z
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:57 PM
alex dodd

yes. i was on the windsong when it caught fire. there is even more to the scandal. the fire was caused because the number 2 generator was four months out of inspection, and the wiring was defective on the the halon systems to put the fire out.
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: BEWARE WINDSTAR NOT ALL WHAT IT SEEMS

Am going on windspirit Oct 9 - Athens to Istanbul...Any help would be appreciated--will be our first windstar cruise.
thanks
Old October 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Billy Clark

I must agree We sailed on the Windsurf 3rd Oct 2004, a total desaster, with on board desasters waiting to happen please e mail me if you are about to sail on the Windsurf
reidandsmythltd@yahoo.co.uk

it is not 180 deg better!!!!!!

Billy Clark
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Eric Forbes

Default Athens-Istanbul Shore ex.

Hello:

I have just booked the Athens to Istanbul Windstar for next June. You mentioned in your posting that you did some excellent shore excursions? Any information you could pass along would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Beginner

can only support your notes. was on the Barcelona -Nice sailing in April....
180 from ordinairy???? ( they ended up offering the next 7 days for $ 400.....)
definitely NOT. the crew suit themselves, change things around, shower curtain has not been cleaned in ages, and get this:
we came back from shore one day at 1300, expectin to get a nice lunch.....well, they just cleaned up.....and told us to get sandwiches at the pool bar......
that day they switched lunch hour to suit a large excursion group... said it was in the on board paper ......is this 180 from ordinairy?
WS suggests they use local wines and products.... NO such thing......and we all know Spain has great food and wine.
Here is a tip: buy your wines on shore , salip the waiter a 5 each day and save a lot of money......then he will not charge you the corkage fee....
Windstar???? well it not written off yet..... but will need to live up to their promises.
HHB
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:24 PM
alice s

Billy, we just returned from New Year's WindSurf cruise - it was great. So sorry you had a bad experience.
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM
mslvp

Wow!

What a difference in opinions.

Since I sell cruises, I'm going to check this out further. 4 negative responses regarding safety issues does concern me.

I hesitate to sell this line until I get some more legitmate information.

Thank you. Happy cruising

[http:www.greatcruisinghome.com]
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
vicky conlee

Default First Winstar Cruise

Hello- I know it will be a year since your cruise- Athens- Istanbul- but we are going going this June2005- any tips on what you did on shore would be appreciated. I know we are going to have a great time-

If you response- Thank you for you time!
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:47 AM
whistleblower

Sorry to be secretive but I still work at sea and do not need to blacklisted hence the handle.

I am writing to confirm that Neil is telling the truth regarding this company. I worked for them for one contract and left due to the unsafe state of the ships and the attitude of the company and captains ( I use the word with regret as none of them would hold that rank with a reputable company) who take little or no interest in safety matters.

It is amusing to read the comments from people who think they know it all because they thought the waiter was good or because they enjoyed the itinery. What the hell has any of this to do with safety?. Do not be advised by Paul motter he knows nothing about ship's other than the dining room. If any of the passengers knew the state of the ships safety systems and engine rooms they would think twice regarding sailing on them.

I have been at sea for twenty years and have never seen ships in so poor a state and so badly in need of investment or scrapping in my life.

Only on one point would I disagree and that is in saying that the senior officers are always drunk as this is not so. Most of the officers are very good but are unable to perform their duties due to the company budget constraints. Only "Captain", Clark is the exception as he is a disgrace to the profession and is often drunk .

Do youself a favour and try another line if you want to cruise it will be safer and you will not have Indonesian waiters spitting in your food. They hate the Americans especially and may crawl for tips but they also had a party on 9/11 to celebrate the twin towers comming down.If ever there was a cruise line open to a terrorist attack it will be this one.

You have been warned.
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:40 PM
daninnyce

You can say many things about this line, but my experinces are not shared. Windstar has always delivered a quality cruise. I would question this post.