Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windstar
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2004, 05:19 PM
jamiegunter

Default How do people dress?

We are thinking of trying windstar, we are use to going on Carnival and Celebrity. How do people dress for dinner? Is it really shorts and tshirts? I would love to hear some things about the cruise line from people who have been on them. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Bill Thomas

Default Re: How do people dress?

My wife and I have taken 4 Windstar cruises, as well as a couple of cruises on the large ships on other lines. We greatly prefer Windstar for a number of reasons (the yacht-like atmosphere, small number of passengers, crew that know your name and treat you like a friend, etc). We are booked for a 2-week cruise on the Wind Star next March.

The Windstar dress code for dinner is "resort casual", which translates to slacks or khakis and a polo shirt or sport shirt for men. Women wear what they would wear to a decent restaurant ashore - most wear slacks, some wear skirts or dresses. Shorts and tee shirts are fine - and common - any time but dinner. You may even see a man wearing a jacket and tie to dinner, but in our 4 previous cruises, there was only one man who did.

I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have about Windstar. You should also check out their website (www.windstarcruises.com), as it has a wealth of information.
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Nedleycan

I never wore shorts and t-shirts to dinner (nor did anyone else). The norm was casual pants (ie. Tommy Bahama type) and short shirts for men, and sundresses (or capris and nice blouse) for woman. The first night we saw a man leave his room with a jacket and tie. He looked at us (dressed as described above), then continued out of his room. We saw him 1/2 hour later in the dining room... no tie, no jacket! Never saw another tie or jacket again. But the great thing is that everyone knew what the "appropriate way to dress" was. There was never anyone too casual.
You will love it!
Old December 13th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Passenger

We just got back from a Windstar cruise of Tahiti. For breakfast and lunch, it was pretty much anything goes. For dinner, we all got a little bit dressed, no ties or jackets. The ladies sure did look nice though- especially, my wife