Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windstar
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Passenger

Default Wind Surf 's new Belize & Mayan Riviera

Just booked this trip for March 13, 2005. Any comments on the PADI onboard instuctors? Will they keep all of your gear, including wetsuits for you on the dive deck? Have they changed the "No tipping" rule since Holland America changed? Can you smell engine fumes from decks one and two (cabin cat A and B) ? We have sailed on Celebrity (our favorite for big ships), but have never been on a small ship before. We did try a live-aboard scuba (18 PAX) but that was too small.

Old October 8th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Wind Surf 's new Belize & Mayan Riviera

We too are looking at the same cruise and I am wondering what anyone can tell me about their diving experiences on this line? We are planning on doing a lot of diving and want to make sure we will enjoy it.

Also, any feedback on the boat, service, food, etc. would be greatly appreciated. For those of you who have cruised with them before, would you go back?

Thanks in advance!!
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Billy Clark

They dont have a dive deck,yes they will keep your wet suits.there are no PADI Instructors on board.We are just back to day from the Windsurf,good food good service but it all stops there. Do not go on board with a complaint no matter how small or large the Ships officers ans hotel staff are not interested.

Kind regards and I hope all goes well on your cruise.
Old November 13th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Nedleycan

We have been on Windstar Spirit in 2001. We loved it! We are also divers. We dove in St. Barts and the Dive Masters were great! We are booked for the January 23rd Mayan cruise and look forward to somemore diving. Yes, there are PADI instructors on the Mayan cruises!
We love Windstar. We never had an issue with service. Windstar is all about casual elegance. If you want to dress up for dinner... so to Radisson. If you want entertainment, go to Princess... if you want an week-long cocktail party with 308 people who are just like you... go on Windstar.
If you are not certified, I suggest you take a weekend course, so that you can just be certified, without doing all the lessons. There is too much to do on the cruise to bother with lessons.
You will have a great time!
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Wind Surf 's new Belize & Mayan Riviera

I'm so glad to hear of your great experience...what cabin A or B would you suggest, does it make a difference? We are getting ready to book for a March trip. Thanks again for your review...I feel much better after reading your experience. We can't wait to go diving in such great locations!
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Wind Surf 's new Belize & Mayan Riviera

Dear T,
We booked an A cabin. We figured that we would get a better view out of our porthole if we very on a higher deck.

Old December 11th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Nedleycan

Default Wind Surf 's new Belize & Mayan Riviera

We booked cat. B last time, and we are going cat. B again this time. The only difference is probably 9 feet higher off the ocean. Since Windstar cruises are usually docked during the day and not being hit by huge waves (except maybe at night), we didn't see a reason to book a cat. A. Also, we got the last cabin for the January 23rd sailing, in fact, if another couple didn't JUST cancel, we wouldn't have been able to go. And cat. B was all that was left. We were not in our cabin very often, so it doesn't matter much to us.
Last time we didn't bring any of our own gear on the cruise, and we really didn't need it. Their gear was great and we were able to keep the same snorkle/mask the entire week, in our cabins. I read another thread (on other board) that says to bring your own gear (excect tank, etc.). I am not sure what we will do this time.
Can't wait!!!!
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:09 PM
bari nichols

We are booked on the Feb 27 sailing. We have been on 5 previous Windstar trips and they were all great. Each of our trips had PADI instructors on board and the diving was good for beginners as well as certified divers. Last time we brought our own gear, but the ship's gear is good, too. Service has always been top notch and tipping is completly optional. No one has their hand out, but we always tip the folks that served us the most as well as our cabin steward.