View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
If any of you have read my articles about solo cruising you probably know I am not a big fan of it for several reasons.

First of all, as a male I believe it is very difficult to meet new people on a ship, especially a large one, because most people are traveling with their family units and don't really want to include a single cruiser in their group.

You might sometimes meet the "right people" but as a solo male myself a few times, after trying to make conversation with a few different people and just getting odd looks, I just realized I didn't like trying to befriend strangers even though I actually wanted some company.

I do understand there are some men who might enjoy the solitude of a solo cruise as IBCruzin describes in her message above, but what worries me is a newbie male taking a cruise solo with the idea that he is going to meet lots of new people and have a very social time. Not likely to happen, to be honest with you.

There are probably some older men who cruise solo, but they can afford it, and they don't mind the solitude. I just think it is important to forwarn single men who are not cruise experienced what it can be like.

If they are actually single and thinking about their first cruise, I believe they should try a singles group cruise - keeping in mind they are free to not participate if they so choose, and to have a solo cabin even. The point is that there is a social connection there if they want it.

That's my 2 cents
My experiences, and possibly my expectations, have been different than yours. I am a 48 year old single man who travels solo most of the time and loves it. I'm not rich, I work hard every day and save my money for the trip. It's a great way to get away.

It's not my intent to hook-up on the cruise and I'm not looking to meet new lifelong friends. I look for a way to relax, to be pampered, to have good food served to me. I look for someone to make up my room for me. I look for itineraries that go to pleasant weather and have opportunities for fun excursions in port even though I like sea days more than port days. On a cruise I can relax and not worry about anything. I have no work, no phone to answer, no crisis to solve, no one imposing on me. It's an escape. And I believe that I deserve it. I work very hard and I have a lot of “real-life? going on.

I just got off the Carnival Miracle about two weeks ago. I had the time of my life. The service on the ship was absolutely perfect. Compared to real-life, I was treated like a king on the cruise. My waiters and stewards were friendly and helpful. I met a lot of very nice people everywhere I went. Some people that I just met on the cruise were so nice it was like we've known each other for years. I spoke to different people at breakfast and lunch everyday at my table. They were quite happy to talk to me; I think they just wanted to share what they did, how their vacation was going, and from there, we got to know each other. No, not I did not become best friends with everybody I sat with, but I did become friendly with a few people this way. I took excursions from the ship with people I had met. I met other people on the excursions. I was never lonely, but I was also never compelled to hang out with anyone.

The social connection is built into the cruise. It's there if you want it, but you are not forced into it. The deck parties, the contests, the bars, the games, everything built into the daily itineraries is social and you can do as much or as little as you choose. And this is where you meet the most people.

If the idea of the cruise is, as you wrote, to “meet lots of new people and have a very social time,? that is not a solo cruise, that is a singles cruise. I believe that misconception is exactly the reason the OP supported a separate section for solo cruisers.

Solo's may want to get away, singles might want to join in. That may be one big difference between the two.