Thread: Fuel Surcharges
View Single Post
Old December 26th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
I disagree. If additional charges are required due to an unexpected rise in fuel after brochures are printed, then there is no choice except for a surcharge. You can't raise "base" prices over the brochure without being guilty of false advertising.
No one ever pays "brochure price". ... well maybe 7 people a year world wide I've always wondered why there is even a "brohchure price" printed. The real prices are never even close.
No one pays brochure prices but actual price is often "based" off brochure price.

I know that in 2006 Regent instituted a surcharge due to rapid increase in fuel costs. Initially, in 2007, there was not a fuel surcharge as the costs had not measurably increased from the "predicted" amount made when determining prices. In 2008, we are back to a surcharge due to the rapid rise in the last few months....long after brochures are printed.

As I believe fuel surcharges are non-commissionable, travel agents are the ones that take a bit of a hit. On a related note, if cruiselines raised their prices to properly pay employees and said "tips are included," the extra charge would probably be commissionable costing the cruise line 13% more.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14