View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Look, I've been on several cruises where people have died during the cruise. It happens frequently though most passengers don't know it. There was no indication that this guy was too sick to travel -- none at all that I'm aware of. Cruise lines cater to elderly passengers and make a gazillion dollars off them every year. Many, if not most, could not stay in business without them.

You can be sure that the next old boy who gets a little blood in his stool, (in all probability due to a polyp or to an internal hemorrhoid,) will keep his trap shut and not go to the ship's Doc for fear he'll be thrown out on his butt by some gutless quack. That is tragic.

My hat is off to the courageous Doc and captain in the Crown Odyssey I described in a previous post. I admire people with guts like that. They were willing to take on the Soviet Union in order to do right by a passenger who trusted them. What a contrast!! Have we sunk that far in less than twenty years?

And Kuki, I hear what you are saying, and part of me agrees -- but Roatan is NOT Calgary or Denver! To dump someone there is COLD!! And you are right, they had an obligation to arrange flights or do something other than just dump the old boy off the ship

One lesson we can certianly all agree on: never fail to have the travel insurance!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10