Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller
A word of warning, if you use your debit card for your sail and sign deposit the hold for your deposit may not get lifted by the bank for several days after your card gets debited to pay your sail and sign so you could end up with twice as much held as you actually spend.
Okay, here's a question I'm sure has already been answered somewhere.
If we already have cash on our s&s acount.... (min required $200 each)
can we still use our debit card and if so... at what point would they place the hold on it?
From what I have been told, If you spend more than the deposit they add a hold for each purchase in the amount of the purchase. By the end of the cruise, the hold equals the total that you owe on the S&S. If your bank is on the ball the hold will release when the total amount gets debited but I have seen banks that take several days to release the hold.
So just to clarify... if we have 400.00 on s&s for 2 of us and on day 5 we only have say... $50 left... are you saying the won't put a hold on our debit card unless we charge/spend more than $50.00??
I thought I was under the impression they would. Maybe that's because when we used our credit card we had to keep going to the pursers desk while they requested more money.
They should not hold more than the original deposit, unless you spend more than the deposited amount, then they may put more on hold. If you still have $50 of the deposit available then they will not put more on hold.

I have been a bit surprised by this post in regards to the hold on debit cards. We almost always use our debit card and even though we almost always exceed the deposit amount, we have not had a problem with an extended hold on the account, so this post surprised me. In fact, I have even checked our account after we got home and the charges for the cruise incidentals did not hit our account for several days. I also verify the amount charged to my bank against my final receipt from the ship to be sure that I was charged correctly at my bank. I have never had a problem with this, but you never know.

I believe, though, if you are experiencing a problem with this, or think that you are spending over the amount of the deposit, that you can pay a cash amount against your sail and sign account during the cruise. This might be a good thing to do, if you know that you will need your debit card for travel from ship to home, or on shore purchases. Most of the newer ships allow you to check your account from your cabin through the TV set. That should keep your account within the standard deposit hold amount. Standard deposit holds can change with the lenght of the cruise.

I place a clear document envelope on our dresser and we place all of our ships purchase receipts in it each day. I use those to check my account as we go, to be sure there are no overcharges. Most of the newer ships allow you to do this from your cabin through the TV set. I also like to do this to check for any shipboard credits that are due me.

It is also recommended that you let your bank know before hand if you plan to use your debit card (credit card company for credit card) while out of the country, particularly if you plan to use it at an ATM. I have heard of the cards being locked when used out of the country, if the provider is not pre-notified.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days