View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Baltic Cruise Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Tony,
Weather is always something that no one can truly predict. Historically August is a great time to cruise the Baltic. Warmer weather and normally calmer seas. I sailed the Baltic in mid-May and we experienced literally glass seas for almost the entire cruise. It was almost creepy.

If you depart in Dover you will have an extra day of sailing until you get into the Baltic. Leaving from Amsterdam and Copenhagen are closer to the Baltic and depending on the itinerary, you may not have as many sea days. The other, somewhat negative, thing about sailing from Dover is the travel distance from a London airport to Dover. It is anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to get from Gatwick or Heathrow to the port.

Just make sure you book a cabin mid-ship as to minimize the ship's movement if you do encounter some large waves.

Have a wonderful cruise!
Mike
While cruising from Dover may mean a trip of two to three hours from London, there are several reasons to cruise from that port rather than Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, etc.

(1) By flying into London, I can get a direct flight from my local airport and back again. Otherwise, I might have to fly to another airport and than change planes. Which I would rather not do.

(2) By flying into London and then cruising from Dover, I'll see Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden. Looking at other Baltic cruises that embark from other ports, I see that many of them skip one or more of the above countries.

(3) By flying into London, I'll be flying into an city I've flown into and out of many times before. Though, I must admit, this is the first time I've flown into Heathrow. Previously, it's always been in and out of Gatwick.

(4) Everyone in London speaks some approximation of "American," which I can understand. While many Europeans, not living in the U.K., are bilingual, not all of them speak "American."

(5) And I like sea days. I just sleep all day long, coming up only for meals.