View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Tipping in American is quite different from tipping in other countries. I had issues with my hubby wanting to tip everyone in Italy. I knew tipping was either included in the bill or not expected. So it's interesting to hear from people not from the USA and get a different idea about things.

On a cruise ship I have always had excellent service with no reason to remove the auto tip. I find it odd to remove the auto tip in order to hand the tip to the person in cash. I guess I would want to know from the staff if it makes any difference to them. Auto tip vs cash tips. I know there are cruisers who hate auto tips, I prefer the auto tips it's easier for me. If I feel someone went above the norm then I would add an extra cash tip at the end of the cruise.

I worked as a hairstylist for 14 years some people would announce before the hair cut that if I did a good job I would get a large tip. I always found this offensive like I would only deliver quantity if I got a lot of money. I spend a lot of my life at work I want to be proud of what I do regardless of the amount of money I'm paid. My sense of the people on cruise ships is they feel the same. Pride in your job is it's own motivation.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994