View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew121 View Post
I've got it fron NavSim website (a company that, among other things, manufactures navigation software). This is a Polish-based company so I guess it's not so well known around the world).

Anyways, I've been monitoring they website for a while and recently they've published two interesting things:
1. Reconstruction of Costa Concordi track; and
2. Electronic charts that are available for the area of Giglio.

I found it quite convincing (especially I combined it with news from other forums/websites e.g. the one of Chief Mechanic of Costa Concordia, which confirms that the engines where off almost immediately after they hit the rocks). Therefore I think that the "courageus manouvre" that saved hundreds of lives was just a mere coincident. If the wind were e.g. SE instead of NNE then we won't be seeing Costa Concordia grounding at rocks but she would be now somewhere deep in the ocean couple of miles away from Gilgio.
I see exactly what the site implies - that the ship lost power and drifted into the shore. Why this captain did not put up a Mayday immediately is to me as egregious than his "abandoning ship" yet it is hardly even being discussed.

A dead ship in the water - upright - is made to be fully escapable by everyone within 30 minutes.