View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicToad View Post
Never been on a cruise, but planning to do so. I'm wondering what you have for advice. My preferences and thoughts:

1) I don't want a porthole unless it opens, so I assume that the balcony rooms are appropriate. However if one wants fresh air, can't you just sit on a deck somewhere with a mai tai and a blanket, like in the movies? Is the balcony room worth it if one wants fresh air, or is it a needless extra expense?

2) I'm not interested in the ship as a destination. I want to see places I haven't been (and as a retired soldier, I've been to a lot of places.) I'd also like to avoid the more common tourist destinations. I'm not interested in movies, lectures, and things I can do at home, but I would like to eat well. I'd also rather avoid children and noise, but I don't think I can afford luxury cruises. What should I be looking for? (It's obvious that a cruise in Sept-Nov would help mitigate against crowds, children and noise, as well as helping me save money.)

3) I've heard that some cargo ships have decent accommodations and offer cruises to interesting destinations. How can I get more information on this (assuming it's true?)

I'd appreciate your input.
The days of sitting in a deck chair with a blanket are long gone. Except on an Alaska cruise.

I too am destination oriented more than ship oriented. I would suggest looking at some of the European, Mediterranean, itineraries currently offered. They have great pricing in the Fall and Winter months.

In regard to a balcony. I love them and really do enjoy just sitting outside and watching the water. If you can handle a smaller cabin then an inside would be fine for sleeping and dressing.

I would look at lines such as:

Holland America
Celebrity
Princess

And Carnival: They have expanded their itineraries to include Europe and Australia and they deliver a good product for the price.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me