View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Familiar Face

Good morning, everyone!

It's cold and overcast here in eastern Ontario, but it's nice to be home.

We just returned last night from playing "dodge the hurricane"! We sailed on the Explorer of the Seas on Oct. 28th from Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, New Jersey. Our very experienced captain steered us directly south between Sandy and the US coastline, getting us to Bermuda within an hour of our originally scheduled time, but even better - safely! It was an exciting first cruise for my two brothers and their spouses, but they survived their first adventure at sea and even managed to enjoy themselves. It's actually quite amazing how well the ship handled 30-foot waves and winds of up to 120mph. And only my one sister-in-law felt under the weather for a while. The captain and crew worked incredibly hard to keep us safe and as comfortable as possible. They did a marvelous job and we can't praise them enough! Our cabins were on the starboard side, which took the brunt of the weather. Some cabins were flooded by water leaking through the balcony doors, but ours were fine. Although phone lines were opened up for people to check with home or try to find out whether their cars were still in the parking lot at the pier, we weren't able to reach our hotel to check on our cars. In the end we were lucky - we'd parked at our hotel near the Newark airport, and the flooding didn't reach that area. Except for the potential of a few scratches once we clean off the tar from flying roofing debris, our vehicles are fine. It's hard to describe how lucky we are compared to so many others in the area! Despite the weather, we managed to have a marvelous vacation. And it was a great way to enjoy our anniversary!

I hope we soon hear good news from our fellow CruiseMates who live in areas hit by Sandy.