View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Is Celebrity REALLY an upscale line?

momof4

I am in a position where I can afford to dress my children and myself appropriately for such an occasion. However, my thought was to be INCLUSIVE of more people, who MAY be able to afford to take their family on a wonderful cruise vacation, but can not afford to purchase formal clothing for all of their family members for only 2 nights.

First, there's no need to purchase formal clothing since it's available for rental.

>> For gentlemen, many tuxedo shops offer a "cruise package" that provides rental of a tuxedo or dinner jacket, tuxedo pants, dress shoes, two tuxedo shirts, a cummerbund with matching necktie, a vest with matching necktie, cufflinks, and studs for a week for about $85 -- which is a lot less expensive than buying a dark business suit or a tuxedo!

>> For ladies, there are many "consignment shops," etc., that offer "worn once" eveningwear at very economical prices.

Dressing appropriately for two formal nights need not be outrageously expensive!

But that said, I would think that most people who cannot afford proper attire for formal nights would be much more comfortable going on a cruise line that does not expect formal evening attire. Perhaps you are an exception, but many people would feel very self-conscious just knowing that they were not wearing the expected attire -- and disapproving or disbelieving stares of other passengers certainly would only reinforce their discomfort.

I also would think that most people who cannot afford proper evening attire prescribed by a "premium" cruise line like Celebrity also would not be able to afford the higher fares charged by a "premium" cruise line like Celebrity, compared to the lower fares on a "mainstream" cruise line like Royal Caribbean International or Norwegian Cruise Line.

However, my thought was to be INCLUSIVE of more people, who MAY be able to afford to take their family on a wonderful cruise vacation, but can not afford to purchase formal clothing for all of their family members for only 2 nights.

Your efforts at being "inclusive" are seriously misguided. Rather, you are setting people up to be embarrassed because they cannot meet the expectations that go with a cruise on this cruise line.

Note that I have not excluded anybody from cruising. Rather, I have simply suggested that people should book their cruises on lines that matches their preferred styles. For some people, that's Celebrity and dressing up. For other people, that's Norwegian Cruise Line and strictly casual. There are cruise lines for all tastes.

Norm.