View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgique View Post
o.k., I'm way behind the times. What does "pillow top" mean? Built in pillow?

I'm in the market for a new mattress and need information! Have learned a lot from this post, but still not sure what "pillow top" means! (I'm a blond).
A pillow top is a mattress with a layer of soft "pillow like" padding on the top. This way you can have a soft mattress but still have firm support.

A couple of years ago I got rid of the worst mattress ever made. It was from the Original Mattress Factory. Within a year the pillow top started to indent and stay indented. The OMF told me that if it wasn't a permanent 2" indentation that didn't go away when I flipped it then they would replace it otherwise I was stuck with it. Well, we had to flip the huge king size mattress once a week or we felt like we were sleeping in a canyon and it really bothered both of our backs and hips. The OMF would not honor the warranty after two years, even when someone came out. The "inspector" really didn't like me when he left. I may have burned my own bridge because I did get pretty mad when he told me to keep "flipping" the mattress. I told him to flip it.

We then purchased a VERY expensive Select Comfort with adjustable head and leg. Sort of like a giant hospital bed. It's ok but not worth the money we paid. Next mattress is going to be a good old fashioned Sealy or other mattress.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me