View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise planner View Post
Thanks, Mike.

Is it better to stay on Hong Kong island or in Kowloon?

The pier is on the far west end of the island in Kennedy Town.

Pete
For a first time visit I would stay on the Kowloon side. Tsim Sha Tsui, is the lower tip of Kowloon and the area where your ship will dock and the Star Ferry port. There are a lot of hotels in this area but they are upscale and a bit expensive. Try Priceline for this area and don't go below a four star. I tried to get one for last December and could not get one and I bid up to $175/night. The YMCA is in this area and is actually a decent hotel. If you want to really splurge stay at the Marco Polo or the Peninsula and enjoy the elegance. This will cost you about $300/night but at the Marco Polo you can just walk through the shopping mall to the ship and high tea at the Peninsula is a true experience.

I have stayed at the Sheraton Tsim Sha Tsui on previous visits and it is a VERY nice hotel and a great location. This last time we stayed on the Hong Kong side, (Wan Chai)next to Happy Valley racetrack, at the Cosmopolitan. It was a decent hotel but a very small but nice room. I paid $100/night via Priceline. It was actually easy to get there by taxi after the cruise. With a $40 cab ride to the hotel from the ship and a $35 cab ride to the airport. The Cosmopolitan was not close to the subway so we had to take the hotel shuttle to "Times Square" and then hit the subway. We used the bus system to go to Stanley Market. It was pretty easy using the hotel supplied bus schedule. Plus it was about $5 for the two of us.

Take care and have a great time.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me