View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Just a small point, but these days finding any flight--short haul, long haul or anyplace in between--that has a load factor of 50% or less is pretty much out of the question. As recently as three or four years ago it could be done fairly reliably midweek, but with schedule cutbacks, mergers and right-sizing of aircraft to save money, it's unusual to find a flight that's only half full.

I must also say that once in a while it's not so much the person next to you but the entire ambiance on the plane. A few years ago when we went to Egypt and Jordan, we found the long-haul flights on EgyptAir from Kennedy to be absolutely disgusting. Perfectly good 777s, but wow--lots of kids, lots of dirty diapers, lots of dirty diapers stuffed into seat pockets, an overall disregard for fellow passengers, aisles full of magazines and newspapers, kids running rampant with no parental concern at all, and no hope of redress because it was happening all over the plane. It was the norm.

Once we landed in Egypt, everything was fine (back before the troubles), but on the plane it was a different world, both going and coming home.
Now that sounds like an experience. I'm glad I missed that flight. We had an Air India flight from Frankfurt Germany to LAX. It was a night flight so not a lot of kids and no issues like you describe so Indian culture better for flying then Egypt culture seems like. I even like Indian food so it was great for me. My hubby had to get the "American meal" wussy. I love spicy food. Or maybe it was the lack of children on board due to night flight made mine so pleasant.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994