View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Personally, I would skip the lobster night in the MDR and go to Cagneys or another place that serves a better lobster.

The MDR lobster is Caribbean, in fact I think it might be just large Prawns. It wasn;t anything to write home about when I tried it on Epic, anyway.

By the way, the best lobster I ever had on a cruise ship (not counting my small-ship cruise on Blount in Maine which was just amazing), was in Europe on Princess in the main steakhouse.

As I recall it was the cost of the steakhouse PLUS a surcharge, but man it was really good. Better than I have had in restaurants in Maine.

But on the Blount small ship - they bought over 100 fresh lobsters and smoked them outside over charcoal covered with seaweed. The lobster meat was steamed and brined at the same time. I never had such a good lobster (actually two of them).
I am with you on skipping the MDR lobster. Never was a lobster fan anyway, but then maybe I have just never had a really good one. I don't think the up charge for the good ones is that steep, and I have heard that you can still get those free MDR ones on the side in a specialty restaurant if you want.

When there was a recent glut of lobster in Maine, NCL was bringing on fresh Maine lobster for awhile on their cruises out of Boston. I have heard they pick up fresh lobster in Kona on their Hawaiian cruises! and I'll find out in August.