View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:43 PM
oldstuff

Default Back from Veendam cruise

Hello to all who read this! I have just returned from my first cruise, and it was on HAL Veendam to the Western Caribbean this past Nov 1 to the 8th. For all those who have not cruised this ship, or this line, here are my thoughts:

The cruise ship itself was very nice. A little worn here and there...but quite beautiful. I was in cabin 806 which is ocean view on the A deck. The sailing was pretty smooth...but...there was a terrible smell of garbage just about each night for an hour or two. My cabin steward was attentive, but nothing over the top.

The food was generally good. Nothing spectacular, and improvments could have been made in quite a few areas. Don't get me wrong...I certainly was never hungry! BTW- the room service was very good.

I will say that the staff bordered mostly on luke-warm, although there were a few that were very friendly.

The entertainment was fair. The bingo that I played was short and boring. The activities during the day were somewhat dull. I was hoping for more in the way of lectures and such, but to no avail.

One of my biggest gripes was the auction. What a crock of bull!! As an antiques and collectibles dealer for over 15 years I was appalled at the shlock that they were peddling. I was truly looking forward to this portion of the cruise and was sadly disappointed.

Embarkation and disembarkation were smooth. Although they did shoosh us out of our room at 8am, even though we had until 8:30.

All in all a fair vacation at a cheap price. I got a steal on the cabin, so I don't feel badly.

The ports were OK. Cayman Islands was quite nice, Mexico as well. But, Jamaica made me want to cry. Such a beautiful island and such impoverished people....quite sad.

If I never hear the words Diamonds International again, or Kirk Freeport, it will be too soon.

Just my opinions folks....
Sponsored Links