View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2003, 04:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Viking Danube October

Shirley,

I’m glad your cruise went as planned. We were not as fortunate. We left in late July from Amsterdam to Vienna & Viking knew a week before we left the US that they had big trouble. Our ship was “stuck” by shallow water on day 6 of the prior cruise… Viking disembarked all those passengers (who were not happy) and put them on a bus to Amsterdam. When we arrived our ship was still “stuck” 6 days out and Viking’s plan was to bus us our first 6 days to meet the ship where it was.

Under the circumstances, I think Viking did have an obligation to contact the passengers on our trip, explain the situation and offer to book another date or offer a refund or a drastically reduced fare.

Again, on our particular cruise, Viking knew they were already busing the prior cruise passengers from the same ship we were to embark. They knew they would have to do the same with us in the opposite direction. I think they should have told us. This was not a case of “oops” too little water; let’s take a 100 mile detour. This was a case of KNOWING the ship was 6 days away and not contacting a single passenger.