View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: what to do in Montego Bay?

We werer on the June 22 Sailing of THE CONQUEST.

We tood the advice of previous board writers and took a JUTA van (it appeard that various vans must be approved to enter the port area in Montego Bay at the Carniva lPier as the area is fenced in) which could hold about 8 passengers to Doctor's Cove. The cost was about $4 per person and took at least 15 to 20 minutes.

Earlier in the day, we took a van to City Centre for about $3 per person. While we were on this Van, the driver, Kingsley, wanted to wait for all of us on the Van to shop and then take us on a sightseeing tour. Since many of the passengers wanted to do their own thing, Kingsley's arrangement did not work. However, we took his van back to the Ship, changed for swimming, and took another van to Doctor's Cove.

The weather was overcast for the two or so hours on the beach. The cost of the Beach was $5 US dollars per person. We were going to meet the van that took us to the Beach at Margaretivile (which is only about one block along the road from the beach) at 3:30 p.m. to make sure we were back at the Pier in plenty of time. However, we met the ART Auction Person from the Conquest who told us about the water taxi. We just accepted the $5 per person fee for the Water Taxi and told another couple who also joined us. The ride took about 5 minutes, but we had to climb a short ladder to get on the pier. We had a great time on the small boat.

I assume we could have tried to get a reduced rate on the Water Taxi for the four of us, but somehow, bargainng was not on my mind. Facxing the ocean, the water taxi boats were at the extreme right of the beach. The driver said the boats are sometiimes at the Pier to go to Doctor's Cove but we were not aware of them earlier in the day.

I did not notice parasailng or speed boats at the Beach during our two hour stay. The are changing rooms at the beach but no lockers.

Do consider the weather when making your beach excursions.