View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM
PapBill

Default Re: Bare Foot Cruises???? Costa Rica

Chuck, I have done a Windjammer, although not on Amazing Grace.
Amazing Grace is a small freighter converted to passenger use. Lots of teak and mahogany . Nothing is terribly fancy. For many years she sailed a 13 day route from Nassau to Grenada and back. She was (and still is at times) the supply ship for the balance of the Windjammer fleet. Unlike the rest if the fleet, Amazing Grace is of course not a sailing vessel.
Bring tee shirts, shorts and bathing suits. If you have more than one medium sized bag packed you have WAY too much stuff. Accomadations are spartan compared to what "jammers" call "fru fru " cruising. If you like relaxing, and can do it by reading a book , not by seeing a first run movie at sea, this might be for you. Think upscale camping , at sea. The passengers get very close, the party is usually great. The stops are smaller more out of the way places, a bit more adventure. Sea time is quiet peaceful, party time is Party with a capital P. Food is good. Coffee and sticky buns in the very early AM onboard deck watching the sunrise. Lunches are sometimes on deck and sometimes on a secluded beach. Rum swizzles and cheese tray served pre dinner on deck most nights. I believe they still serve wine with dinner. Brands are red and white. After dinner the party shifts to the outer deck and bar area. Great fun.
We thoroughly enjoyed our trip.
There are two web sights with message boards I suggest you go explore.
windjammerfanclub.com and jammerbabe.com both have active message boards frequented by experienced "jammers" who are happy to help to get new folks addicted.
There are so few posts on the Windjammer threads on Cruisemates that you can still find my review in three or four parts, posted probably on the first page. It is probably under "Bill" in those days.
I think you might enjoy this.