View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Beginner

I agree. Point I was trying to make is that it appears there used to be a *significant* difference at one time between onboard drink prices and prices landside. I don't believe that difference exists today, from the posts that I've seen recently. Drink prices appear to have equaled across the board, even when taking into account the level of cruising one may do (popular, premium, lux) vs. types of restaurants one may frequent at home. Back in those years, people used to express amazement at "how cheap" drinks were aboard ship, relative to landside restaurants. I don't think the same can be said today.

So, if the drink prices aboard ship vary from $5.95 to $12.95, depending on the cruise level, they are about par with my landside experience, depending on the restaurant.

As for whether or not cruise prices have increased significantly in the past 30 years, I recall paying $350 per person on the Skyward during our initial 1974 cruise vs. about $900 per person for the Dec 31 sailing on the Dream. I equate both cruises at about the same level.