View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2006, 03:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Your post highlights one of the major problems that we face as a society today -- the problem that many people do not take responsibility for their own actions. If you are buying a product, you bear the responsibility to know what you are getting and to choose a product that is suitable for your purpose. Alas, the way you and your coworkers check out cruise lines sounds like the guy who bought a small pick-up with a four-cylinder engine and then wondered why it would not pull his Airstream at highway speeds.

It is not very difficult to do a bit of research on cruise lines and ships before one books one's first cruise. You can walk into any major bookstore (Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.) and find about half a dozen books that evaluate and rate cruise lines and cruise ships in the travel section. Most of those books say very clearly that there's a profound difference bttween lines. Further, it's awfully naive to assume that all cruise lines would be carbon copies of one another when houses hotels, restaurants, automobiles, and even supermarkets and department stores clearly are not.
When I was researching my first cruise, I didn't feel the need to go to third party sources to get information. I relied on the information that the cruiseline published in the form of brochures, websites, etc. If the cruiseline can't convey the message that they wish to be considered more formal in their own publications, than it is the cruiseline's problem, not the innocent passengers who books a cruise relying on that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Are you really that blind?

After thirteen with Princess six cruises with Celebrity, I see the differences pretty clearly. The experience on Celebrity may be somewhat different if you take very short cruises in the Caribbean, but Celebrity's cruises are much dressier than Princess's cruises even in Alaska.
I'm sorry, but after 3 separate 10-day cruises on Celebrity and more than I can count on Princess and Carnival, I just don't see this big difference you speak of.