View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Admiral

George,

Thankfully they don't collide much. But I never say never....

Yes, and indeed I chose my words very carefully to avoid use of the word "never" in this context. Freak incidents do happen, and probably always will. Nonetheless, a collisison at sea probably is the least likely incident involving a commersial cruise ship. There are many casualties that are far more likely than a grounding -- a passenger having a heart attack, a serious fire, a grounding, etc. -- but these also are extremely rare.

... now that it aooears, as reprted by CBS 2 Florida, that Crown incident was indeed just plain old common human errro....

Thanks for posting the account. I hope that we'll get the report from the official investigation in due time.

NCL Dream collides with BURNING cargo ship. Maybe they didn't see the FIRE, the ship on radar, or hear any distress calls?

It's more likely that the cruise ship respoinded to the distress call and was attempting to maneuver alongside the burning ship (to windward, please!) to evacuate personnel and perhaps to put firefighting teams aboard. The international laws of the sea require every vessel that receives a distress call, including cruise ships, to respond to it. Most cruise lines schedule some cushion in their transit schedules in case the ships receive a distress call.

Start reading NTSB reports and then Canadian ( aha!!! that's why I couln't find that ship I had wrote about that left NY and went aground, I remember now it was Canadain NTSB version report ) comparable NTSB agency and you have just a little less acceptance of the perfection fo sea travel.

A grounding is not a collision. It's a very different type of incident that poses a very different set of hazards.

Norm.