Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 11:17 PM
Maddy

Default Coupons for Ketchikan et.al.

I'm going to Alaska 8/12 for a land tour & then cruise via Princess. I've enjoyed this so much ---great info, thanks to all for input---ver helpful. Does anyone know how to get 'discount' coupons for towns like Ketchikan before leaving home? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Maddy
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2001, 11:47 PM
Audrey Belcher

Default Re: Coupons for Ketchikan et.al.

I hear that there are discount coupons at the dock at Vancouver.
We are leaving on the Dawn Princess a week from Sat and when I get back I will let you know.
Old June 29th, 2001, 09:48 AM
First Mate

Maddy, we're cruising Inner Passage on the Vision 8/19. I've been told that there are coupon books, per se, at the dock in Vancouver. But I also sent away for a Ketchikan Visitor Guide, which I finally received, and that has some coupons for shopping and some tours, if I'm not mistaken. I believe their website is visit-ketchikan.com, or call:
Juneau- 888- 581-2201
Ketchikan 800-770-2200
Skagway 888-762-1898
Haines 800- 458-3579

Enjoy your cruise!

Joanne
Old June 29th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Captain

There are coupon books in a rack that you can grab as you enter the ship. We used them when we sailed on the Dawn a couple weeks back. They are in a clear plastic bag and there are coupons for every stop.
Old July 1st, 2001, 10:26 AM
Maddy

Dear Audrey,

Hope you have a great time! I've read ALOT about giant mosquitoes so if you haven't been warned already (& you probably already know) be sure to bring a very strong, non-spray bug repellent (they're confiscating spray cans @ the airport-pump style ,lotion or liquid types are best). They sell it in Alaska also.

I'm going to Vancouver last so I won't be able to wait to get 'discount coupons' in Vancouver. So do let me know if you come across any in any other town than Ketchikan. I've sent away for that one & assume it will get to me in CT in time.

Bon voyage!
Maddy
Old July 4th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Most of the other posters are referring to the "inside passage" coupon book for all ports. The Ketchikan visitor guide has a inside "flyer" with several coupons, call 800-770-3300 but they will also be at the dock visitor center.
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just returned and we picked up a couple Alaska info brochures in Vancouver at Canada Place before checking in to the ship. All the coupons you'll ever need are in those books. We used several of them. There were some really good ones.

You can't miss the Alaska brochures. There are thousands of them in racks all around the waiting area at Canada Place. Read thru the coupon book before you get off the ship. Take a hi-lighter with you and mark the coupons you might use.

Just as a tip, the little Russian nesting dolls were $5.00 a piece for the small ones on the Radiance but were $6.50 on Ketchican. But the Faberge pendants were LOTS cheaper at Ketchican. The ones with the coupon are ALL 1/2 price at that shop. Can't remember the name of the shop. Hubby bought a gold bearing quartz ring (you'll find out what those are on the ship TV) in Ketchican. They were cheaper there than Juneau and Skagway.

Try to book tours on the docks. Cheaper and better. Cruise lines are really hurting the locals. Our whale watching guide took us WAAAAY out and we saw 40-50 whales in one area. All others who booked on ship were "bragging" that they had seen 2 or 3 whales. If you are afraid about timing then book the tours early in the day.

HAVE FUN
Old July 5th, 2001, 10:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

What whale tour company did you book with and which port? We'll be on HAL inside passage Aug 25-Sept 1. (first cruise) Is there a whale "season" In other words will there still be whales there in late Aug. early Sept?
Old July 6th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Whale watching is out of Juneau I have gone with both www.alaskawhalewatching.com and www.dolphintours.com

Whales will be there, they migrate out toward Sitka end of Sept- Oct.
Old July 13th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Upon boarding the ship there are coupon books on the pier.