Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2002, 07:45 PM
lesley

Default alaska sept. 2002

HI
we will be doing our first cruise to Alaska on RCCL Radiance, any suggestions for us-mom, dad and a 4 year old girl! Sounds like lots of great land suggestions, but is there enough time to do these things? Seems like ship arrives Juneau at noon, leaves 11 PM, then arr. Skagway at 7 Am and leaves 5 Pm etc. SO, is there enough time to enjoy helicopter tours, etc.
ALSO_ anyone know what kind of wildlife we will see in Sept 7-14? We are coming from Hawaii so it's gonna be a first! (Of course, not sure if the whales will be leaving Maui (our home) or somewhere enroute to Alaska?! I am debating whether to purchase a digital cam corder or a digital camera with high zoom, and some binoculars, any suggestions which we would use most?
AND lastly, anyone been on this cruise with a 4 year old? Suggestions on what to pack for clothes etc?
I love reading your message boards, I have learned a lot!
PS My husband flies small planes, any chance he could fly a plane up there or at least get a nice flight tour? thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: alaska sept. 2002

Humbacks migrate from Hawaii in March and return about Dec, so humpbacks will be there when you are. But best to see them would be on a tour out of Juneau, I like going with the small independents Orca or Dolphin. If you want to see them from your ship, you need to be out on the front open deck with a good pair of wide angle binoculars- I get a ton of use out of my 10x50. This requires a great deal of time that few passengers are willing to do, but I have always been greatly rewarded. You have time in ports for your excursions if you plan carefully. You are not going at an ideal time and be prepared for cold weather and rain, dusk by abou 7:30-8pm, You are not likely to see much wildlife without a tour, bears out of Ketchikan may be an option??? there will be few kids on board but have your child participate in the ship kids programs- well organized and the kids seem to really like them. You will need warm clothes- a lined lightweight jacket, layers- sweatshirts/pants, knit hat, gloves if you plan any outside ship viewing. My husband a few years ago rented from Juneau fight school, you must have an instrument rating- don't know if they still do this?? 907-790-4390, keep in mind they may be open seasonally.
Old March 12th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Therese

Default Re: alaska sept. 2002

we will be taking a 4 year old to Alaska on May 15 we are flying from Australia, so I will wave as we pass over your house

Therese