Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Passenger

Default Silly Alaska Question?

I hope I don't look too foolish by posting this question...

We've booked our first Alaska cruise in late July. Are the on-board pools "swimmable" during this time of year? Do the pools require heating (if that's even possible)?
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Silly Alaska Question?

we went to alaska in late september on the ncl sky. we swam in the outdoor pool, which was very warm. also, most ships now have indoor pools, too. everyone thinks alaska will be freezing but it is pretty mild weather. cool mornings & evenings but the days are very comfortable for the most part. do expect some rain. oh, it is freezing when you are at the glacier..bring a warm hat and gloves if you plan to be out on deck. we loved the cruise and are going again in june!
Old April 5th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Admiral

I have to disagree, very few swimmers on any Alaska cruise I have taken with outside pools. But many with the inside pools.
Old April 6th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Joy,
I too will be taking my first Alaska cruise this summer and I will bring a suit or 2, you just never know about the weather up there, and there is always the inside pools to use too :-)

What ship are you going on and when? I'll be on Celebrity Infinity with a Cruisemates cruise, here are all the details:

http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...alaska2002.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 8th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Silly Alaska Question?

Hey Donna,

I've noted the Alaska cruise coming up with CruiseMates. Though unfortunately we won't be able to book that one since we're restricted by a school schedule. We've got one 2nd grader and one teacher in our group of 5 going. We would welcome the opportunity to once again sail on Celebrity...we were on the Horizon once and so far I think it's our favorite line.

We'll be on the Sea Princess and I don't think there's an indoor pool unless it's convertible somehow. This summer, we were on the Ocean Princess (Sea's sister) and I didn't see how the pool area could convert to an enclosed pool. But with the ship engineering miracles we're now seeing, stranger things have happened.

We'd love to join fellow "crazy cruize people" sometime soon! This is our first year with two cruises in one year...so who knows, it may become habit (if our wallets can support it!)

Joy
Old April 8th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Joy,
Lets just hope you can continue to cruise more than once a year. Actually, last year we did 2 also, first time! Hope we can also keep that up :-)

Too bad you can't join us on the Crusiemates Alaska cruise, I'm very excited about it!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 15th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Silly Alaska Question?

WE ARE GOING ON THE NCL SKY 5/26. WE CHOSE THIS CRUISE BECAUSE IT LEAVES FROM SEATTLE & WE WERE ABLE TO GET FREE AIRFARE RD TRIP FROM SEATTLE & MY BROTHER LIVES IN SEATTLE SO WE WILL VISIT FOR A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE CRUISING BUT I AM GETTING NERVOUS BECAUSE THERE SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF NCL BASHERS OUT THERE. WE WERE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CASUAL ATMOSPHERE BUT STILL WANT GOOD FOOD & ENTERTAINMENT. HOW DID THE FREESTYLE DINING WORK OUT. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old April 15th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Shanon

Default Re: Re: Re: Silly Alaska Question?

Mimi - I wouldn't get nervous about choosing NCL. Although we have never been on a cruise with that line, I believe that cruise lines are all comparible to each other, they would have to be or they wouldn't be in business in the ever growing popularity of cruising!! Believe me, I have been through the same thing with people bashing Carnival. We have only cruised on Carnival and LOVE IT!! Have nothing bad to say about it. Everyone has there own opinions and likes and dislikes so you will find this with anything you do in life but really I wouldn't be to concerned about what you hear. We have friends that cruise nothing but NCL and absolutely love it. In fact, I just spoke to them the other day and they raved about the freestyle cruising and wouldn't book with anyone else, so there ya have it. REALLY, just go on with your planning and enjoy yourself. You will have a wonderful time I am sure!! HAPPY CRUISING!!!
Old April 15th, 2002, 10:29 PM
ned

We were on the NCL majesty in feb. Freestyle dining is great, but wearing short pants t
o dinner is discouraged, Dining with new people every night is my preference. I didn't like paying for cokes and booze at the bar. Smuggling helps.
NED
Old April 23rd, 2002, 08:02 PM
Jwelch

NCL Sky was our first cruise. It's a beautiful ship, but I've got to warn you...the state rooms are very small. 154 square feet! We had a balcony state room and soon adjusted to the small size. NCL is great in that they offer amenities with the balcony rooms, champagne and flowers in the rooms.

I would definitely go on the Sky again. Regardless of the state room sizes, it's a great ship, and the crew was fantastic. We enjoyed the free-style cruising. Since it was our first, we didn't have anything to compare it too. The next cruise we took was traditional, and we liked it better because we had such great table mates and made new friends.

Have fun! I'm sure you will!
Old April 27th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Beginner

Don't forget the HOT TUBs....there great on those cooler days at sea or evenings. Have a great time!