Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2002, 12:27 AM
Zi

Default Bear viewing out of Anchorage?

Has anyone taken the HAL bear viewing 2-day trip out of Anchorage through King Salmon, AK? The first day you visit King Salmon and neighboring village, second day jetboat along West coast to view bears then back to Anchorage in late afternoon.
I want to do a bear viewing either out of Anchorage or preferably Homer. I've been told that Homer is worth spending a couple of days in.

If anyone has done anything like this, I sure would appreciate your comments; good or bad.

Ze
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Bear viewing out of Anchorage?

First off I wouldn't book this at a premium through the cruise lines, I would book direct instead, try Brooks - they run 1- multiday bear tours- Anchorage- King Salmon
Old April 17th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Jeff Huffman

If you are on a land tour going to Denali you will have an opportunity to see bears on the bus ride into the park. Your best bet is on the longer 8 hour Wildlife bus tour....while it is long and can be bumpy it is usually rewarding. I love this tour and have done it about 8 times (It helps when you live here) I have never been skunked on this longer tour.....the best trip was 13 different bear sighings. (I was in the right place at the right time) The natural history tour is much shorter, about three hours, and bear viewing on this trip is not as likely. Most of the tour companies include a bus tour into Denail in their land/cruise combination packages.

If you are spending some time on your own down on the Kenai peninsula (out of Anchorage) consider a bear viewing trip out of Soldotna. I went with Talon Air a few years ago and had an unbelievable once in a life time experience! The rate was approx. $265 per person and included the flight, guide, boat and fishing. If you don't fish you can just watch. The bears swam and played within 20 feet of the boat.
Old April 17th, 2002, 10:54 PM
Shanon

Default Re: Re: Bear viewing out of Anchorage?

Jeff - am curious - where do you live in Alaska? We are coming to Alaska, cruising 7-17 and then land tour for a week to end in Anchorage. We are so excited - our first time to Alaska and from all we have read and studied, it definately won't be our last. We are starting to think about a small piece of land in Alaska for our retirement years. (summer's there) Picture a little cabin by a stream/brook, somewhere in Alaska - made just for us!! Am I dreaming??? Any suggestions on where to start looking? My husband loves to fish, lake, pond, stream, brook, loves to fly fish mostly and my hobby is gardening. Would love to hear your input on area. South central seems to look the most interesting.
Old April 18th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Jeff Huffman

We live in Anchorage.

I came to Alaska 9 years ago on vacation for five days.........loved
it....returned home and made plans to quit my job and move to Alaska
permanently. I have now been here over 8 years.

There are lots of great places to buy land, have a cabin etc. It really
depends on your goals, likes, dislikes, etc. A great website to visit is
http://www.alaskarealestate.com/ This will give you a great idea of what is
available. In Anchorage it is currently a SELLERS market.

There are lots of lakes and rivers etc. Your husband should have no problem
finding a fishing hole close to wherever you end up buying. When we bought
our house we were looking for water and fishing too....which in Anchorage is
a little more difficult but still obtainable.
Old April 26th, 2002, 07:26 AM
DonnaT

We are going on a bear-viewing adventure out of Anchorage to King Salmon & Brooks Lodge in the middle of July--when the sockeye salmon should be running. I booked it over the internet at www.bear-viewing.com thru www.katmailand.com. I have been dealing with Melissa Ackerman,Reservations Agent. She has been very helpful. We really wanted to stay at Brooks Lodge, but it was booked way back in February of this year. They will be flying us into Brooks Lodge each day for two full days of bear viewing, but we will be staying at a hotel in King Salmon.