Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2002, 04:01 PM
lizz arago

Default carnival vs NCL

I have booked an Alaskan cruise on the NCL Sun, next May 2003 for myself, mom and a sister. A 2nd sister wants to join us, but her travel agent is urging her to book on the Carnival Spirit. Any suggestions on how to decide which ship - the itinerary is practically the same. I have cruised Carnival before, but not NCL. Is one ship nicer, better, etc. than the other? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2002, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: carnival vs NCL

I haven't sailed on NCL but I loved the Carnival Spirit. One perk is more balcony rooms than the Sun and Spirit's rooms are bigger. But the Sun has the freestyle dining with a lot of restaurants. How bout try one this year and one next year!

Denise

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old October 19th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Default cruise

I have booked an Alaskan cruise on the NCL Sun, next May 2003 for myself, mom and a sister. A 2nd sister wants to join us, but her travel agent is urging her to book on the Carnival Spirit. Any suggestions on how to decide which ship - the itinerary is practically the same. I have cruised Carnival before, but not NCL. Is one ship nicer, better, etc. than the other? Thanks

You will have similar passengers on both. But more open front deck space on NCL as the Spirt is lacking in my opinion for someone like me who spends a great deal of time there. My choice would first be based on time in ports, glacier- with Glacier Bay my clear preference and cost. Most everything I go to Alaska for is outside the ship. Don't consider a one way without at least 5 additional interior touring days. It is a long and costly way to Anchorage not to make the most of it, and 6 out of 7 days of the cruise are inside passage- similar to round trip Vancouver/Seattle- and a whole lot cheaper for airfare.
Old October 19th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Default May

I have booked an Alaskan cruise on the NCL Sun, next May 2003 for myself, mom and a sister. A 2nd sister wants to join us, but her travel agent is urging her to book on the Carnival Spirit. Any suggestions on how to decide which ship - the itinerary is practically the same. I have cruised Carnival before, but not NCL. Is one ship nicer, better, etc. than the other? Thanks.

Sorry, I assume you are probably on a round trip??? I would go with the ship going to Glacier Bay , otherwise I would book based on price. A great time to go.
Old October 29th, 2002, 09:27 PM
tr

Default ncl vs carnival

HI-

I did carnival to caribbean last spring - great food, entertainment just ok - regular employees double as entertainers. shore excursions fine. way too many kids on board - around 600. decorations very gaudi. difficulty managing temp in the room. but, had a nice time.

I did Norwegian to alaska last july - the ncl sky - nicer and newer ship than the carnival. shows were spectacular! never seen better. nice to have a more relaxed dress code. food not as good as carnival or royal caribbean. freestyle cruising is great. alaska scenery is unbeatable. Ship is decorated very classy. we did the 7 day round trip from seattle. wonderful trip. employees great.

I'd rank the cruise lines I've been on in this order: 1st choice - Norwegian, 2nd - Royal Caribbean, 3rd - Carnival.

Have a terrific vacation!

Old March 24th, 2003, 01:16 AM
red4u2

Default Re: carnival vs NCL

liz, when are you going,im on the Sun May 4th